HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - what to store the hunting gear in?
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2003, 12:18 AM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: what to store the hunting gear in?

I have been using rubbermaid containers for years. I always wash them out with soap and water, then let them dry outside and sprinkle some baking soda in a leave closed for a few weeks when new. For prep. for season, I line the bottom of my conatiners with field materials from the area I will be hunting(Dirt, branches, leaves, etc). Wash my camo and place them in the appropriate container. I also label my containers as I do have several areas I hunt and sets of camo. Wash my camo in arm & hammer no scent/ no brightner laundry detergent, extra rinse cycle & air dry outside inside out. If you have a wife, girlfriend or mom like mine, who likes the fabric softners, etc, then run a full cycle a few times with just water to remove any risdue from her pretty smelling stuff and it will remove excess brightners as well.

For offseason storage I wash camo and add some baking soda.

You could buy waffers or scent lok bags, if you choose instead of the above technique. IMHO the most important part is ensure your camo is kept clean, use natural no scent/no brightners added laundry soap and stored in some sort of containment system to help minimize foreign odours.