Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Questions from a new whitetail hunter >

Questions from a new whitetail hunter

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Questions from a new whitetail hunter

Old 10-29-2010, 12:20 PM
Fork Horn

Some climbing stands come with a harness, I purchased a "gorilla greyback climber" stand for 99.00 at gander mountain, stand works good for me, I can tote it around to various spots, Its a little small but what I need for the $. The harness is good, and I use to to slightly lean out of my stand on bow shots, its that secure. Ide go with basic scent prevention, Im sceptical of all of it, I beleive the dead down wind stuff works good, and comes in a detergent, spray, and body soap kit, that was onsale at dicks. Only other thing Ide recommend, is a water bottle, remmington makes a camo one, witha holder that can be fasten to your stand, or worn on your belt, pretty nice. Got one at walmart for 6 bucks.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:38 PM
Fork Horn

and Good Luck. As others have said, a safety harness is a must. I would definitely look at Hunter Safety System, that's what I have and love mine. Anything is better than not wearing one, though. Happy Hunting and be safe.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Absolutely use a safety harness. It's as important as the safety on your gun.

When I'm hunting I take a fanny pack with the following:
A sharp knife
A length of rope to drag my deer
A Butt Out tool--not absolutely necessary as you can use your knife to cut around the deer's anus, but helpful. Look one up on youtube to see if it's for you.
A box of rifle shells
An ink pen to fill my tag.
A headlamp or a flashlight--I prefer a headlamp to keep my hands free while dressing a deer.
an arm's lenght of twine or heavey string to tie off the anus and bladder when field dressing and to tie on the deer tag.
A couple of freezer bags for the heart and liver.

If you're concerned about scent control, keeping wind in your face is most important, and you can surely take deer by doing nothing more than that. A cheap way to help your scent is to wash your clothes with some baking soda or odor free detergent, and store them in a rubbermaid tub with some cedar branches. I don't even bother with that myself.

I have one of those collapsible chairs with a strap that I sometimes sling over my back and take in to the woods. I find a downed tree or pile of brush and get set up in it and call it good. Or, I just stillhunt.