Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Why people do it ?

Old 10-15-2010, 11:54 AM
Spike

Default Why people do it ?

I was driving down the road yesterday and notice two different deer dead along the road with the heads cut off. Just wondering why people do that ?
Old 10-15-2010, 12:04 PM
Spike

Free rattling horns!
Old 10-15-2010, 12:21 PM
Fork Horn

Im a shed hunter I cut the heads off so I can clean them up and add them to my collection...but like the 1 post said I think others do it for rattlleing antlers.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have done it before but usually just stop long enough to take the horns and leave the head.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:59 PM
Typical Buck

Darn right! I carry a hack saw in my truck just for that. But I'm picky, I only cut off the big antlers, lol, and leave the head. If I don't need rattling horns I know people who do.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:22 PM
Typical Buck

As everyone said they see a big buck laying by the road they take the antlers,other reasons because they can get one by hunting so the shoot the buck then take the heads or just antlers .We have that problem here also .
Old 10-15-2010, 02:37 PM
Fork Horn

I think people do it so they can make up a story about how they hunted that deer for 10 years before finally tracking it down and killing it with a pocket knife!
I used to do it for rattling antlers or if it was big enough just to gawk at. That is the good thing about getting to respond to deer accidents is I get the first bid! hahaha
Old 10-15-2010, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default They Wanted a Prize . . .

and they get their prized, heirloom antlers without doing much effort.

Besides, why do all that hard work of getting the deer to a processor and paying a fee, too. They don't do that on those TV shows, do they.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:59 PM
Spike

Default Funny!!!

Originally Posted by jerrrrstanley
I think people do it so they can make up a story about how they hunted that deer for 10 years before finally tracking it down and killing it with a pocket knife!
I used to do it for rattling antlers or if it was big enough just to gawk at. That is the good thing about getting to respond to deer accidents is I get the first bid! hahaha
This is funny that you say this.... My uncle has a big buck mounted in his home and for yrs he told me that he went down to grandma's,,, his grandmas and shot it with a pistol... Years later my other uncles told me that the DNR gave him the rack and he went to our local processing plant and got the cape.... LOL... Some people are such good story tellers....not to long ago I asked him what size of pistol he used and he just laughed... lol
Old 10-19-2010, 11:51 AM
Spike

Now is it legal just to stop and chop the head off?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.