Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ohio help

Old 10-13-2010, 06:08 AM
Typical Buck

Default Ohio help

Hey Ohio hunters. I was just wondering...Which county is best for whitetails in ohio?
Old 10-13-2010, 06:25 AM
Typical Buck

Eastern counties along the I-70 corridor always produce the most deer (Muskingum, etc.)... Largest deer lately have been coming out of the south-central counties (Adams, etc.)... Old Standbys are the counties around Wayne National Forest (Athens, etc.). I have private land in the northern part of Athens County.

Last edited by newguy23; 10-13-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:10 AM
Typical Buck

I would really love to be able to hunt Ohio but have no clue where I would go. Thats why Im trying to gather as much info as possible. Thank you for the help newguy23
Old 10-13-2010, 09:17 AM
Typical Buck

Start with the ODNR website, they gather information on private landowners who are open to hunters... Next look at Wayne National Forest.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:29 PM
Fork Horn

To tell the truth, I have found that almost all of ohio besides around bigger cities produce large deer. You just have to find them, Spend time looking for them or hope they find you. As for population wise..... Idk..... Their EVERYWHERE!!

When i was younger, Every year i would take a tripe down to southern ohio, I use to always think that only the big deer were down there. well as i got older, i found out that around here where i live theres even bigger deer then down there. In my opinion, thats because like i use to, people think that thats the only place the big deer are, so everyone goes there and just ends up shooting younger deer before they could get big. So i believe anywhere around southern ohio isnt that great for size wise but still doin pretty good for population.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:56 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by newguy23
Start with the ODNR website, they gather information on private landowners who are open to hunters... Next look at Wayne National Forest.
Where is located on the website? I have searched it and cannot find it.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:57 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by blueahlijr
So i believe anywhere around southern ohio isnt that great for size wise but still doin pretty good for population.
With all due respect, the statistics indicate something completely different. The B&C and P&Y Bucks are definetely taken in higher percentages in the southern and eastern counties.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:01 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Pastor Camo
Where is located on the website? I have searched it and cannot find it.
I just looked a little to and couldn't find it... Sorry to direct you there. Try contacting them (ODNR) I know they have a program established I don't know why it isn't on their website. I remember reading an article in the Ohio Outdoor News Newspaper a while back.