Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The Cover Scent LIE

Old 10-12-2010, 05:42 AM
Typical Buck

Default The Cover Scent LIE

I posted this on another thread.
Here is a bit of truth for ya! Over the years people in the hunting industry that sell "scent control products" have convinced hunters that you NEED to do all this stuff that involves using their products to be successful hunting. They have done their job well because as you can tell from this thread, hunters now-days believe you NEED this stuff or your are not going to successfully kill your intended game animal. While anyone who spends time in the field (and I don't mean 4 hrs a couple of days a weekend) Know the truth. I wish Fred Bear was still around to be able to tell people the truth. If you watch footage of the founding fathers of hunting you will not see them spraying, dipping, or washing with any scent control products. Heck they didn't even have camo! And some of the trophy animals they took are still records today! You guys have blown this scent control thing way out of proportion. It's all about making money and some of you are buying into this lie. You can flame me if you want saying I only hunt a certain area or whatever else you want to say about me but the truth is that if you are being busted by game animals it is because you are doing something else WRONG like not playing the wind, or being seen or heard.... instead of worrying about animals smelling you change your hunting tactics, sneak, stealth, ambush, the element of surprise, know the animal and how it lives,what it does where it eats, sleeps. Because I'll tell you the truth you can go out in your sponge BOB pj's after not showering for a month and if you know how to HUNT you'll kill an animal. This is the truth we as hunters need to keep alive. Not all this scent control crap! Now say what you will.
Live it up! Doug

Last edited by kswild; 10-12-2010 at 06:53 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:55 AM
Typical Buck

One more thing before the flaming starts! Answer this question! How many of you KNOW what actual fox pee smells like? Can you say when you buy a bottle and spray it on your boots "WOW this is really good pee" or maybe "WOW this isn't very good pee"! How many ACTUALLY know? If the answer is anything other than YES Doug I KNOW what real fox pees smells like... how would you know what your spraying on your boots, or clothes? Thus you have bought into the LIE!
Live it up! Doug

Last edited by kswild; 10-12-2010 at 06:06 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

No complaints about my scent killer. When I was a kid I used fox urine and raccoon urine on my boots and I think that did worse then good but I use "scent away" mainly on my rubber boots and outer clothing now a days. Haven't been busted yet this year "knock on wood" I have had deer downwind, upwind, licking my tree steps, whatever. I still hunt the wind and use extra precautions because that one time that big boy is going to sneak in when I don't see him first and in my head I want to be a ease!! Plus I feel better knowing that I have it on me and its so cheap! Why no use it.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

With scents, there are actually 3 different catagories that get lumped together by most - they ARE different. None are needed, but 2 of them can have an effect, but 1 can never work.

1. Scent reducers - these can help to reduce your scent.
2. Attractrant/curiosity - things like vanilla and other deer pees. Deer do smell them and react in different ways.
3. Covers scents - Earth wafers, pine smell, skunk, different animal pees, etc designed to cover and hide your scent. A deers olfactory sense allows it to process multiple smells equally at the same time. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE to cover one scent (ours) with another one. Deer simply smell you AND whatever else you add to the mix - no hiding or fooling them a bit.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I tend to agree...for the most part...but, then again, (as 420 says) I've never talked with a deer before. I think one factor is how close you need to get to an animal to kill it. If it's 75 yards or more, then maybe you can smell like a hobo and be okay, as along the wind is in your favor. BUT, the wind isn't always consistent, is it? Sometimes it fluctuates in its direction, and in THOSE times, I think your chances are better if you don't smell like hell. I think moderation is the key. In other words, I don't think it's a bad idea to wash your outer clothes in Borax and Arm & Hammer and keep them in some type of container to keep them from smelling like the hamburgers or pizza you cooked the night before. I also don't think it's a bad idea to shower with unscented soap instead of using Irish Spring.

But I would also AGREE that a lot of the scent control products are marketing hype, because I think that if a deer can smell you, he can smell you. I think the issue of them being alarmed, etc if they catch wind of you is HOW MUCH they can smell you. I don't know if they are more or less alarmed if they catch a little bit of man scent vs catching a ton of STANKIN' man scent. I'd like to think more alarmed if you're stinkin', but maybe not!!
Old 10-12-2010, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good information

http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/features/articles/deer/breakingwind/
Old 10-12-2010, 06:20 AM
Fork Horn

Doug,
I agree with you on a few things but disagree on a few as well.
I feel it is misleading to the younger hunters to say its ok to disregard scent.
Here in the area of North Carolina where I hunt, You have to hunt from a stand. Stalks, deer drives and such are illegal. I am fortunate enough to have a fairly large track to hunt with probably 12 different and equally good stand locations where playing the wind is possible. I sometimes head out relying on the wind to protect my scent from the deers noses. I whole heartedly agree that wind control is the only way to protect yourself 100%. I pick my routes into and out of the stand locations as to minimize the impact on the hunt. Its all part of sound hunting principals but,
its irresponsible to tell these young guys just getting started that scent control doesnt matter. It does. A responsible hunter will do everything in his or her power to minimize his impact on his surrounding environment. You dont have to spend a fortune on scent blockers but washing your clothes in scent free detergent is sound advice. Washing the blood and stuff off your rubber boots before you walk into your stand is sound advise.
during the rut, estrous lure on the heal of your boots works like a charm.
I have a property that is extremely urban if you know what I mean. Deer could care less what smells they encounter as they smell it and hear it daily. On another property, the smell of your boot on the way in will send the deer into a frenzy. On this particular property, our best stand location in the middle of an 80 acre track of timber. Right in the middle of this old timber is a deer oasis of oaks, acorns clean water and grass. It has been hands down the most productive stand locations I have ever hunted. Problem is that the route in and out is long, thick and crossing many trails. The wind swirls in this opening no matter what direction its blowing in the adjacent field. If you smell, your busted quickly. We climb up as high as possible to minimize the impact but get busted on occasion from our entry scent.
Long story short,
If you think scent doesnt matter, your not doing any up close and personal hunting. Any regular bow hunter will confirm that someone that minimizes his scent will outkill one that dissregards his scent 3 to 1. If you can play the wind, which is the soundest hunting principal of all, your golden. If you cant then you need to try to minimize your smell.
I spend 40 hours a week in the field and know the truth as it pertains to where I hunt. If it walks, swims or flies I have probably hunted it. I over the years have developed the ability to ignore all the gadgets, gizmos and new products that hits the shelves each year and have learned to stick to what works but would never tell a young hunter to ignore his scent control.
To a hunter that hunts from a box stand on the edge of a field with a rifle, this post means absolutely nothing but to a hunter that bow hunts thick timber, he knows what Im talking about.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:22 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by stabnslab_WI
That is a Great article and only reinforces what I say about playing the wind! Thanks for sharing stabnslab.
Live it up! Doug
Old 10-12-2010, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kswild
That is a Great article and only reinforces what I say about playing the wind! Thanks for sharing stabnslab.
Live it up! Doug
It is a good article and it supports everything your saying! Nothing I can really do about my thermals. But my boots I can do a little extra to prevent a big buck from detecting where I walked in if he crosses that path. Which I have had them do before. Good luck everyone.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well Doug my friend, you make some exellent points.I've never wasted money on the stuff exept baking soda which I use on my everyday work clothes as well.I have been successful without it in the past.Between salmon and a a moose that my brother shot I got
enough meat to last till spring. That's when Im out trout fishing, so I'll be ok for meat..I am gonna hunt Whitetail this year we have a three week open season, any whitetail goes.Game department is finally worried that the whitetails will take over the mule deer pop. We are getting alot of crossbreeding.I have never hunted Whitetail before, I have seen many but never hunted or shot one.Although I did call one in a small spike the first and last time I tryed using a call on a big mule deer. Im gonna try it your way against these animals. I am also gonna try the scent free thing on mule deer.It's been six years since I shot a big big buck. But I really don't need the meat.I just want the rack and do my part in trimming down the whitetail pop.I consider whitetails pests myself, but I hear it great tasting meat and I hear the can endure alot of bullets and they have a high threashold for pain.I have never missed or lost an animal I've shot. I'll let them walk before I shoot. But this will be a great test on my hunting skill.I'll put it to the test starting now.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 10-12-2010 at 06:34 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.