Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The Cover Scent LIE

Old 10-15-2010, 06:57 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Patrick Eubanks
Doug, your on the computer all day everyday. Not in the woods
Really have you seen this shot 2 days ago.... That's me in the blind not on computer. But I'm on here now just before I go out again! But thanks for tryin.
Live it up! Doug
Old 10-15-2010, 07:09 AM
Spike

As I was saying that I do not use a cover scent, and that I tried Deer Cane in a spray bottle last yr,, I forgot to mention that every since I started hunting (20 yrs) I have always showered in original Dawn Dish soap. And my theory of this is to degrease the hair and body which eliminates body scents, now the Dawn will have a scent but does go away in like 5 mins. There is some food for your thoughts,, lol
Old 10-15-2010, 08:07 AM
Typical Buck

There is a lot of different opinions on the cover scent topic or strength of scent if you will. The first thing a person needs to know is that a human has about 5 million olfactory ( or what ever there called) glands compared to a whitetails 250 million or more and 40% of there brain is programed to read whatever it smells. That statement alone should bring things into perspective. I have been in the woods and field for 35 years, and actually out there 75% of the year because of my work. Over the coarse of that time I have learned how critters react to a lot of different things along with human pressure. During this time I have seen the population of every animal in my area go up, a lot, including humans. And as the population has increased so has the reaction of the animals changed. Do I need scent control to go out and harvest critters? No, not at all. But I can tell you this, by using scent control and some of these products I am a lot more succesful! Doesn't matter if I am trapping or hunting. The biggest reaction change I have seen occur of coarse has been from deer. In the early years if a deer saw you, more often than not, it would stand there and look at you for quite some time before trotting off, now days more often than not there gone! So, do cover scents and eliminators work? Some do some don't, but the only ones that work only work if your smart about using them. A hunters best cover scent is woodsmenship first and foremost, and second is no scent. I don't think it's a fair comparision of Fred Bear to todays hunter, because it's different. I also know that when it comes to hunting mature bucks (4 1/2 on up) anything you can do to tip the odds in your favor is a plus.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:56 AM
Typical Buck

I use scent control to some extent. When I first started hunting, i bought into it all. I had every scent gimmick out there and used about every cover scent known to man. Over the years, I realized that I didnt need as much as I was using, but it was still importan. These days I wash my cloths in a non scented detergent, and i spray scent killer over my cloths and boots before i hit the woods when i get out of my truck. For me its just a 20 dollar bottle of insurance. I have been in stand, and watched a deer come up behind me, and put its nose to the ground and smell the EXACT line i used to walk into the stand a half hour earlier, and then bolt. Not only with deer, this also has happened with fox and coyote. That said, wind is king. Wind is always on my mind, and should be for hunting. Even the best scent control is pointless when you dont care about the wind. I have had deer bust me when i am upwind of them and not used scent control, because i've experimented with different levels of scent control on different hunts just to see reactions of deer. For the times i've dont it, the number of deer i see DRASTICALLY get reduced when i dont use any kind of scent control. I hunt along a lot of ridges where the wind tends to swirl a bit, and i've seen deer between 70 and 100 yards away take off because they knew something wasnt quite right as they sniffed the air. No one is gonna completely remove their scent, and its pointless to completely try. "Forget the wind, just hunt" but scentblocker brand is bogus IMO. Remembering wind direction and movement is the single most important thing any hunter can do (especially bowhunters). If i smell like smoke and pizza and work, the deer arent gonna come running in, especially if theyre downwind. Wind is important, period. Some scent control using eliminating sprays helps the wind you cant help (swirls, wind direction change ect.), as well as spraying down your boots helps with scent control as well i believe.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:13 PM
Spike

@ kswild.. that post = the ****ing truth good ****
Old 10-15-2010, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by PY Antlers
...I can tell you this, by using scent control and some of these products I am a lot more succesful!
Originally Posted by bowhuntn87
I use scent control.... For the times i've dont it, the number of deer i see DRASTICALLY get reduced when i dont use any kind of scent control.
Gee, who woulda thunk that? !!

iSnipe
Old 10-15-2010, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by kswild
If you've only been hunting 20 years.
Yeah,... "If ". LOL! But it's much longer than that; I know the woods. I am a bonafide woodsman.

Oh, and I hope you're not counting sitting in a Porta-Pottie filming chickens as part of that experience you talk about. LOL! jk!

iSnipe
Old 10-15-2010, 06:37 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by iSnipe
Yeah,... "If ". LOL! But it's much longer than that; I know the woods. I am a bonafide woodsman.

Oh, and I hope you're not counting sitting in a Porta-Pottie filming chickens as part of that experience you talk about. LOL! jk!

iSnipe
I've posted my experience in the form of video for all to see... all you have posted is cheap talk! Don't be a hater because I live the life you only dream of!
Live it up! Doug
Old 10-15-2010, 06:39 PM
Typical Buck

Nice video what kinda cam you using,I like when them turkeys come in I got a big flock where I hunt.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:50 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by blackhawk_archery
Nice video what kinda cam you using,I like when them turkeys come in I got a big flock where I hunt.
Thanks Blackhawk
I'm using a Vivitar DVR 840xhd on a Targus tripod
Live it up! Doug

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.