Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The Cover Scent LIE

Old 10-12-2010, 06:41 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Patrick Eubanks
Doug,
I agree with you on a few things but disagree on a few as well.
I feel it is misleading to the younger hunters to say its ok to disregard scent.
Here in the area of North Carolina where I hunt, You have to hunt from a stand. Stalks, deer drives and such are illegal. I am fortunate enough to have a fairly large track to hunt with probably 12 different and equally good stand locations where playing the wind is possible. I sometimes head out relying on the wind to protect my scent from the deers noses. I whole heartedly agree that wind control is the only way to protect yourself 100%. I pick my routes into and out of the stand locations as to minimize the impact on the hunt. Its all part of sound hunting principals but,
its irresponsible to tell these young guys just getting started that scent control doesnt matter. It does. A responsible hunter will do everything in his or her power to minimize his impact on his surrounding environment. You dont have to spend a fortune on scent blockers but washing your clothes in scent free detergent is sound advice. Washing the blood and stuff off your rubber boots before you walk into your stand is sound advise.
during the rut, estrous lure on the heal of your boots works like a charm.
I have a property that is extremely urban if you know what I mean. Deer could care less what smells they encounter as they smell it and hear it daily. On another property, the smell of your boot on the way in will send the deer into a frenzy. On this particular property, our best stand location in the middle of an 80 acre track of timber. Right in the middle of this old timber is a deer oasis of oaks, acorns clean water and grass. It has been hands down the most productive stand locations I have ever hunted. Problem is that the route in and out is long, thick and crossing many trails. The wind swirls in this opening no matter what direction its blowing in the adjacent field. If you smell, your busted quickly. We climb up as high as possible to minimize the impact but get busted on occasion from our entry scent.
Long story short,
If you think scent doesnt matter, your not doing any up close and personal hunting. Any regular bow hunter will confirm that someone that minimizes his scent will outkill one that dissregards his scent 3 to 1. If you can play the wind, which is the soundest hunting principal of all, your golden. If you cant then you need to try to minimize your smell.
I spend 40 hours a week in the field and know the truth as it pertains to where I hunt. If it walks, swims or flies I have probably hunted it. I over the years have developed the ability to ignore all the gadgets, gizmos and new products that hits the shelves each year and have learned to stick to what works but would never tell a young hunter to ignore his scent control.
To a hunter that hunts from a box stand on the edge of a field with a rifle, this post means absolutely nothing but to a hunter that bow hunts thick timber, he knows what Im talking about.
Patrick my friend, I AS A BOW hunter know exactly what it takes to get close to deer in almost EVERY conceivable condition. Look I'm not trying to make myself out to be a great hunter that's better than everyone else BUT in 45 years of hunting I have learned a few things, seen a few things, and done a few things ... it's called experience. If I can bow kill a deer at 20 yards while standing on a 4ft high log leaning up against a tree with no cover and absolutely no scent control, just by playing the wind... then anyone can do it. And I do think it's right to teach the kids the TRUTH. The truth as you believe is different from mine. That's OK, I'm not trying to change what you do, think or believe. But as long as I have a voice or fingers to type with I will continue to spread the the truth about REAL hunting and it's roots... and not this commercialized spectacle the hunting community is being fed today which includes the use of scent control. I do thank you for voicing your different view
Live it up! Doug
Old 10-12-2010, 06:48 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Jeff Ovington
Well Doug my friend, you make some exellent points.I've never wasted money on the stuff exept baking soda which I use on my everyday work clothes as well.I have been successful without it in the past.Between salmon and a a moose that my brother shot I got
enough meat to last till spring. That's when Im out trout fishing, so I'll be ok for meat..I am gonna hunt Whitetail this year we have a three week open season, any whitetail goes.Game department is finally worried that the whitetails will take over the mule deer pop. We are getting alot of crossbreeding.I have never hunted Whitetail before, I have seen many but never hunted or shot one.Although I did call one in a small spike the first and last time I tryed using a call on a big mule deer. Im gonna try it your way against these animals. I am also gonna try the scent free thing on mule deer.It's been six years since I shot a big big buck. But I really don't need the meat.I just want the rack and do my part in trimming down the whitetail pop.I consider whitetails pests myself, but I hear it great tasting meat and I hear the can endure alot of bullets and they have a high threashold for pain.I have never missed or lost an animal I've shot. I'll let them walk before I shoot. But this will be a great test on my hunting skill.I'll put it to the test starting now.
Again Sound Wisdom! Best of luck to you! If you have not yet read the article that stabnslab posted here please go back and read it because it is full of good information on playing the wind which is the cornerstone in forming a successful hunting strategy.You MUST know what the wind is doing and going to do through out your hunt, so check your local forecasts to make sure you know what the wind is supposed to be doing and form your plan of attack accordingly.
Best of luck! Live it up! Doug
Old 10-12-2010, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

You should start a thread titled "the great camo lie".
Old 10-12-2010, 06:56 AM
Typical Buck

i agree with u ks,iv never used cover scent,but yet i manage to take a 150+ buck almost every year.iv learned that deer are more concerned with movement then anything else.and yes i agree its a money makeing scheme,its not something thing that is nessary.like u said ask fred bear.im not trying to affend anyone,do what gives u confidence.after all confidence will get you more critters that any scent or new device on the market today.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:00 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by skb2706
Your right!
Live it up! Doug
Old 10-12-2010, 07:01 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by skinnnner
i agree with u ks,iv never used cover scent,but yet i manage to take a 150+ buck almost every year.iv learned that deer are more concerned with movement then anything else.and yes i agree its a money makeing scheme,its not something thing that is nessary.like u said ask fred bear.im not trying to affend anyone,do what gives u confidence.after all confidence will get you more critters that any scent or new device on the market today.
Well Said!
Live it up! Doug
Old 10-12-2010, 07:02 AM
Spike

Here is my $.02, I do not use a cover scent early season, but do usually use dawn dish soap for hair and body. But as of last yr I did fill a spray bottle with Deer Cane and soaked myself in it. The fifth day of our bow season last yr here in Indiana I took a buck that scored 150, not sure if the scent was the cause but did make me a believer. Now during the rut, I do believe in Tinks 69, as for I do go through about 7 or 8 bottles a yr, with last yr being an exception,, taking my buck so early. Did I mention,, I LOVE THIS SITE!!!!!
Old 10-12-2010, 07:08 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by travis_ranger2000
Here is my $.02, I do not use a cover scent early season, but do usually use dawn dish soap for hair and body. But as of last yr I did fill a spray bottle with Deer Cane and soaked myself in it. The fifth day of our bow season last yr here in Indiana I took a buck that scored 150, not sure if the scent was the cause but did make me a believer. Now during the rut, I do believe in Tinks 69, as for I do go through about 7 or 8 bottles a yr, with last yr being an exception,, taking my buck so early. Did I mention,, I LOVE THIS SITE!!!!!
Congrats on the BUCK! Like I said on another thread what I say about scent has nothing to do with lures and attractants. Which may or may not work, depending on the hunting situation. What I talk about is strictly about trying to cover human scent. Thanks!
Live it up! Doug
Old 10-12-2010, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by travis_ranger2000
Im too chicken **** to use deer attractants because I don't want to tick of the doe's. This is my $.02 and people might laugh but doe's are protective of their area too. If I put a bottle or doe urine from a doe not in the area, I believe the does that hang around get worried and more causcious. There is a group of 10-15 "old" I mean "OLD" mature does that I swear have to been over 10 that rule the area that I hunt. I would shoot them but they are my mom's pets and well I'm still a mama's boy. Any ways IMO I try to do everything and anything not to disturb the area and deer attractants isn't normal to the deer.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by skb2706
Since he brushed the topic in his initial post, I don't see why we can't hit both at the same time.

I think that NOT BEING BUSTED BY MOVEMENT is number one, no questions asked. However, lets say you are still-hunting and are in open timber and you are spotted by a deer while holding tight. REGARDLESS of what you are wearing (assuming the deer is in familiar territory), the deer is going to notice that SOMETHING is out of place, and will check you out thoroughly. Now, one thing is for sure, is that they are not going to mistake you for a Real Tree, lol. But if you are wearing solid clothing (or camo that looks solid from more than a few yards away), I feel like the deer are MUCH more likely to make you out as a HUMAN than they would be if you were wearing camo that actually BREAKS UP YOUR OUTLINE (ASAT, Predator).

You're not really going to find a set of hunting worthy clothes without camo for any less than you can buy a cotton pair of ASAT bibs and jacket. Call me silly, but if I'm spending the money to stay warm, etc anyway, I might as well spend it on something that has a better chance of breaking up my outline than not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.