Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Anybody ever try a "custom load development" service? >

Anybody ever try a "custom load development" service?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Anybody ever try a "custom load development" service?

Old 10-11-2010, 04:19 PM
Spike

Default Anybody ever try a "custom load development" service?

I’m posting this letter to a number of similar forums in hopes of getting some quick feedback on a question about custom load development...

First some background: I’ve got a custom rifle (my first such) built by a local gunsmith with an excellent reputation. It’s a 7MM Magnum with a Hart stainless barrel, built on a Remington 700 ADL action that’s been trued, lapped, triggered, and bedded in a laminated factory stock.

The problem is that it’s not terribly fond of any factory ammo that I’ve fed it. I’m not shooting junk, either — I’ve tried numerous kinds of Hornady, Federal Premium, and high-end Remington in various bullet weights and configurations...

I’m a good shot, with solid experience behind rifles of all kinds, from .17HMR up to .458 Lott. I’ve never felt the need to reload, because I can generally put together fine groups with any gun I’ve ever owned, after a little tinkering with factory rounds.

But with this gun, I’m struggling to get inside of 1.5 - 2 inches. I’ve gone over it with a fine-toothed comb: The action’s properly torqued into the stock, and fully floated. And I clean the barrel to bare metal using Butch’s Bore Shine and Shooter’s Choice every 10 - 12 shots, so I’m certain it’s not a fouling issue...

Anyway, I need something accurate to hunt with this season. And a shop I’ve had good dealings with for 20 years (Hendershot’s Sporting Goods in Han****, MD) is now offering their own line of “Extreme Custom Ammunition” that’s comparable in price to factory premium rounds...

They sell it pre-loaded by the box, but I’ve decided to have them develop a load specifically for my gun — a service they offer for $395. Turnaround time’s pretty quick, too. A couple of weeks, so they tell me.

I figure that’s at least as cheap as me buying all the reloading stuff and attempting to nail down a load that works on my own (which I don’t really want to do anyway).

Can anyone tell me what to expect from this type of service? I know there are numerous outfits that advertise custom load development for individual rifles...

Anybody care to share some stories about their results with such a process?

Thanks,

J
Old 10-11-2010, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe you need to let that barrel get dirty. Butch's BS every 10-12 shots? You'll kill that barrel from cleaning before it dies from being shot out.

Some of my rifles shoot better with a dirty barrel, though I always clean the action and chamber after shooting. My M1A's accuracy does not deteriorate until about 500+ rounds through it.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

If that were my gun I'd be talking to the gunsmith long before I forked over $400 for "custom ammunition".
Old 10-11-2010, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Smile

I looked into doing the very same thing for about the same price and thought spending that much, I could buy myself some decent optics or at least pay down on some.

I suggest starting out with at least buying a couple of those boxes they are selling. Chances are slim, but possible, that one of them might work for your gun.

As for the custom ammo, here is another idea...

You can have someone, maybe them, work up about 10 rounds. Then have them work up another 10 rounds of something else. You can have them make up 4 groups of ten shells and you'll have 4 more chances to see if one of them groups well for you.

Other than that, if you don't have the time or really don't want to do it yourself... and figuring what your time is worth, giving them the $400 might work. Just make sure you let them know what you will be hunting so that they don't use an arbitrary round that punches paper excellent, but not a deer's anatomy. LOL!

iSnipe
Old 10-11-2010, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bbl contour/twist? And how big is the float? I ask because very light and very heavy bbls can benefit from extra support in the stock. And a float that isn't big (the "dollar bill" spacing) isn't serving its purpose when stock/bbl have an easy chance to contact.

Anyways, screw the 400. You're looking at 20 bucks in components to develop a load after a 1-time investment in tools. Then you're throwing money away when you can roll your own for 10 bucks a box rather than 60, or whatever the 'custom' stuff is.

Also, a 2nd on the fouled bore. Give it a try, this ain't muzzleloading--clean it after 50 or 100 shots, and spotless isn't what I look for in the bore.

Good bullets seated nearly to the rifling, with a hefty dose of '22 should get you where you want perty quick.

Shoot more and worry less--Roll your own.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I agree don't clean the bore every 10 or so shots.The bore was probably lapped to a mirror finishand you just might wear the barrel out sooner by using Butchs Bore shine that often.I personally don't know what could be wrong.I do know there is a trade off between lengths of barrels.Longer barrels will give more velocity but the also vibrate and can cause accuracy problems when compared to a shored stiffer barrel.But I know the accuracy problem can be fixed with the proper powder bullet combo. It's gonna be a crap shoot though.
Especially when you don't handload.Personally I be happy with the 1.5 inch group you have and go with the factory ammo. Accuracy may improve once the barrel gets more shots through it.Oh one more question.Is this rifle used for hunting or competition or both. Cause 1.5 inches isn't that bad for factory ammo in a custom gun if it's solely used for hunting.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 10-11-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Superior Ammo...check'em out.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:21 PM
Fork Horn

Here's a thought..your just not used to the gun..keep shooting it with same ammo, instead of changing it up over and over again.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:23 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigbulls
If that were my gun I'd be talking to the gunsmith long before I forked over $400 for "custom ammunition".
X2 EVERY custom built rifle that I have seen comes with a target showing you the accuracy that you paid all of that money for. I would be on that gunsmith's porch first thing in the morning. Dude, you paid for a custom rifle, get what you paid for!!!. We have a guy at our lease that had a rifle custom built 2 years ago. He's a pretty good shot but can only squeeze a 2" groupe our of his $3,500 rifle. I can get better accuracy out of my Remington 700 BDL shooting good ole Core Lokts. Good luck