Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What is considered baiting

Old 10-13-2010, 10:17 AM
Spike

Default What is considered baiting

What is considered baiting on public land? I emailed the folks at NC Wildlife, but haven't gotten a response back yet. I know thatputting out corn, salt block, mineral block, etc is considered baiting. What about using doe p, doe in estrus, fox urine, stuff like that? Anyone from NC know, or anybody really. i dont want to be illegal and get a ticket. First time hunting gameland (public). Sorry for all the post, just trying to learn.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:25 AM
Spike

Default Deer Baiting

Originally Posted by david33
What is considered baiting on public land? I emailed the folks at NC Wildlife, but haven't gotten a response back yet. I know thatputting out corn, salt block, mineral block, etc is considered baiting. What about using doe p, doe in estrus, fox urine, stuff like that? Anyone from NC know, or anybody really. i dont want to be illegal and get a ticket. First time hunting gameland (public). Sorry for all the post, just trying to learn.
Last yr here in Indiana, I used Deer Cane as a cover scent, (as of now the only scent I have used is Tinks 69) putting it in a spray bottle and spraying myself with it. Talking with a IDNR at my local bow shop he said it was legal, but using it on the ground as an attractant is illegal.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

In Indiana if you have an acorn tree to your front but have clearer shooting lanes to your rear you cannot pick up acorns and put them in a different spot to your rear. This is baiting and illegal even though the acorns are on the ground near by.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

that is rediculous that you can't even move acorns. what next you can't bring an apple or peanut butter crackers with you to eat ?
Old 10-13-2010, 11:05 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Rhody Hunter
that is rediculous that you can't even move acorns. what next you can't bring an apple or peanut butter crackers with you to eat ?
Can't let them crumbs hit the ground. That's baiting, and the law will be on you like a bluetick!
Old 10-13-2010, 11:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Don't you hate it when you drop that big ole 64 ounce jar of peanut butter no sooner than you get it open to eat? I hate it when that happens.

But honestly I think that most states consider bait as an unnatural food source like feeder corn, peanut butter, mineral block, etc... (I would lump food plots into this category IMO). I don't know of any state that considers urine bait.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:38 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by doetrain
In Indiana if you have an acorn tree to your front but have clearer shooting lanes to your rear you cannot pick up acorns and put them in a different spot to your rear. This is baiting and illegal even though the acorns are on the ground near by.
Thats absured! What Liberal politician thought of that
Old 10-13-2010, 01:25 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by david33
I would be surprise if the NC Wildlife would consider a salt or mineral block bait. Also I wouldn't think using any of the scent's would be considered "Baiting" I would think you could get a copy of the states hunting regulations and I am sure "Baiting" would be outlined for you. Good Hunting. Doc
Old 10-13-2010, 01:47 PM
Fork Horn

A game warden told me once to use this as a guideline:
Bait = "Natural or unnatural food sources that have been put down by a person in a place where that food source would not exist had it not been for the actions of the person." He told me he asks that question to himself and the hunter when he comes upon a situation that is questionable.

Doe pee and other scents are considered attractants where I am from and they are legal - I would think they would be legal in NC as well because a deer isn't going to consume doe pee.

Finally, use your own conscious - if it seems wrong it probably is wrong.

Last edited by *twodogs*; 10-13-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:48 PM
Fork Horn

Dont throw anything on the ground for the deer to eat and you will be fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.