Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

cover scent on boots

Old 10-11-2010, 01:33 PM
  #11  
Typical Buck
 
kswild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas
Posts: 616
Default

Originally Posted by jerrrrstanley View Post
I step in cow piles on the way to the stand. Or, walk to a cow pie and step in it then go in the other direction to my stand. If you don't have cow pies then i say just some mud or dirt or pine needles or something natural.
That is very good advice! Because all that stuff you guys are spraying, dipping, and washing you and your hunting gear in is unnatural to a deer. Even scents like all the animal urine, the amounts your are putting on are not natural to deer. If you are heard or seen before a deer comes into range, no amount of scent control products are going to change the outcome you'll get busted. The whole idea is not to cover your scent because that is not possible, BUT to have the deer come into range BEFORE it scent's you, sees you, or hears you!
Live it up! Doug
kswild is offline  
Old 10-11-2010, 01:50 PM
  #12  
Nontypical Buck
 
Kybuckhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,498
Default

Fairy dust will work as good as anything......You can't cover scents period. If a little mud or pine scent could cover your scent then they couldnt smell you when you walk on dirt or pine needles. Or a does track when it crosses a corn field. Just think how little scent you put off compared to all the scents in the outdoors. A deer can smell you because they smell on the molecular level...not on which scent is strongest.

I try to not cross a deers path on my walk in and I hunt the wind. The area I hunt is hard to get to without bumping deer because it's a thick bedding area. A deers nose is very hard to fool. I plan every hunt on the wind direction and will not hunt if I can't get the wind I need. If they can't get your scent you have half the battle won but don't think you can fool them with a squirt pee or dirt smell.
Kybuckhunter is offline  
Old 10-12-2010, 05:34 AM
  #13  
Typical Buck
 
kswild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas
Posts: 616
Default

Here is a bit of truth for ya! Over the years people in the hunting industry that sell "scent control products" have convinced hunters that you NEED to do all this stuff that involves using their products to be successful hunting. They have done their job well because as you can tell from this thread hunters now-days believe you NEED this stuff or your are not going to successfully kill your intended game animal. While anyone who spends time in the field (and I don't mean 4 hrs a couple of days a weekend) Know the truth. I wish Fred Bear was still around to be able to tell people the truth. If you watch footage of the founding fathers of hunting you will not see them spraying, dipping, or washing with any scent control products. Heck they didn't even have camo! And some of the trophy animals they took are still records today! You guys have blown this scent control thing way out of proportion. It's all about making money and some of you are buying into this lie. You can flame me if you want saying I only hunt a certain area or whatever else you want to say about me but the truth is that if you are being busted by game animals it is because you are doing something else WRONG like not playing the wind, or being seen or heard.... instead of worrying about animals smelling you change your hunting tactics, sneak, stealth, ambush, the element surprise, know the animal and how it lives,what it does where it eats, sleeps. Because I'll tell you the truth you can go out in your sponge BOB pj's after not showering for a month and if you know how to HUNT you'll kill and animal. This is the truth we need as hunters need to keep alive. Not all this scent control crap! Now say what you will.
Live it up! Doug
kswild is offline  
Old 10-12-2010, 06:26 AM
  #14  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Moravia NY USA
Posts: 2,164
Default

Some of the sprays can REDUCE the scent.

Some scents will possibly work as an antractrant.

NOTHING - pees, cow poop, apples (attractant) can hide or cover any scent from a deer.
SteveBNy is offline  
Old 10-12-2010, 06:58 AM
  #15  
Typical Buck
 
kswild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas
Posts: 616
Default

Originally Posted by SteveBNy View Post
Some of the sprays can REDUCE the scent.

Some scents will possibly work as an antractrant.

NOTHING - pees, cow poop, apples (attractant) can hide or cover any scent from a deer.
Your right and what I say about scent has nothing to do with lures and attractants. Which may or may not work, depending on the hunting situation. What I talk about is strictly about trying to cover human scent. Thanks!
Live it up! Doug
kswild is offline  
Old 10-12-2010, 07:14 AM
  #16  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,262
Default

Originally Posted by Mr. Deer Hunter View Post
Fresh apples - stompped in a tub or red cherry's or what ever food source that is available in the area.

Most people I know wears rubber boots when they archery hunt.

So the only scent that they have on their boots is the smells from their animals, their house, their automobile etc...
That would be illegal in Pa.
DougE is offline  
Old 10-12-2010, 07:18 AM
  #17  
Typical Buck
 
kswild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas
Posts: 616
Default

Originally Posted by DougE View Post
That would be illegal in Pa.
LOL! Now that's a good one.
Live it up! Doug
kswild is offline  
Old 10-12-2010, 09:03 AM
  #18  
Spike
 
SavageArms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mid/west Illinois
Posts: 60
Default

Well when i hunt in the early season i really try to not to put anything on and as one of the users stated stepping in cow piles is a good idea if and only if cows are in the area. When i know my clothes scent is getting noticeable i throw activated carbon in a bag and let them set all night the for next morning hunt and top that off with a little rabbit raccoon, or fox urine you gotta mix it up or they will get wise to you especially if you have been busted by the deer. Please note if you use a rabbit scent you are inviting danger as that urine is a pry animal for the bobcat, coyote and fox. So if you use this be very aware that you maybe inviting danger but it should be a good show if nothing else. The point is do not use doe urine or intruder buck urine in the early season as you will have destroyed you chance to get anything. I know this from experience i tried it one year as an experiment and did not see a damn thing in the early season. Reason Does will be chased out of the area by bucks if you wear doe scent because there are not in heat yet and the scent gets bucks riled up.
SavageArms is offline  
Old 10-12-2010, 10:39 AM
  #19  
Typical Buck
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 542
Default

If you use fox pee on your boots deer will smell you and a fox. There is not such thing as a "cover" scent, deer can pick out multiple scents. For example, you smell vegetable soup, deer smell peas, carrots, potatoes and beans.

Do you think a dog can't track you if you have a "cover" scent? Of course he can and so can deer.
ADVWannabee is offline  
Old 10-12-2010, 11:04 AM
  #20  
Site Buck Guru
 
GregH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Racine, Wisconsin
Posts: 5,922
Default

Originally Posted by SteveBNy View Post
NOTHING - pees, cow poop, apples (attractant) can hide or cover any scent from a deer.

I believe that you are wrong about this one. A few years ago I was hunting my buddy's dairy farm. I'd get there early and hang around BSing with him while he was milking cows before heading out to my stand. I noticed that while hunting one of my stands over looking an alfalfa field, that does I did not intend to shoot would pick up on my entrance trail. At the time my favorite boots were getting worn out and started leaking. I replaced them with an identicle pair. The next thing I noticed was that the deer were not picking up my entry trails any more.

I believe that by getting rid of the leaks by replacing my boots I had prevented scent from inside my boots from hitting the ground. Also, from standing around a cow "poop" laden barn, I had a cover scent that the deer weren't concerned with. I've been doing this for going on 3 years now and the deer just aren't picking up my trail.

Cow poop works.
GregH is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.