Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Down Right Meanness!

Old 10-11-2010, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

This seems to be escalating and the person(s) won't stop until someone is hurt or killed.I'd use every effort I could to find and prosecute the culprit before some innocent is hurt.Best of luck!(May be easier said than done but the seriousness of this matter can't
be understated)
Old 10-11-2010, 11:34 AM
Fork Horn

Not to freak you out or anything, but when I was 14 or so, there were some kids that I knew that would ride their 4 wheelers across this old mans property every weekend. The old man had told them to stop ring on his property, but they continued anyway. The old man strung up some wire about head high and the kids went riding thru there, and one of the kids head was cut clean off. I actually knew a guy that was riding with him that day, so I know this story to be true. Not sure what ever happened to the old man.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a meeting with the neighbor that had this happen to him and after I reasured him that neither I nor two other people who hunt the property next to him had anything to do with this he warmed up to me and eased up. I did not realize that he considered us as the ones possiblely responsible for these incidents. We walked his property line to reafirm what was his and what was a neighbors line and I once again received permission to recover any animal shot that crosses over onto his land. I likewise gave him the same right with the property owners permission. He is rather quick tempered but once he calms down and begins to think soberly he is quite accomodating. I also went around to neighboring property owners and tried to let them know what had happened to see if I could detect any guilt or motive for such an act. Since I do not live in the area I have no knowledge of what relations in the area are like between him and his neighbors. I did find it odd that he would not get the law involved and have this event documented. Mr Deer Hunter suggested that maybe he put the wire up himself to strengthen his legal options or justification for taking vengence I guess or some other motive,this I do not know. But I do not believe he destroyed his own stand,but once again who knows for sure. I do not know how doing these things would benefit him one bit. And like I said he was very friendly toward me and gave us the right to recover a down animal again.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Couple things.

Do you know for a fact that these events actually happened? Some possibility that he could say these things happened to bolster any denial for others on his property. Just saying.

Now if these things did happen then you need to face the fact that there may be sililar suprises awaiting on the property you are on! Something like a wire in the early darkness could be a bad wake up call!

Why he didn't get LE involved is anyones guess. But sometimes people want to deal with things themselves and in their own ways.

I personally would get the law involved. I would also do my own detective work such as keeping a sample of the wire, pay attention to the way it was tied or attached to the trees, look for prints in the dirt around the trees and on trails. Any prints not known to belong I would photograph. Stuff like that.

You need to be very careful from here on out. I mean sneeking around the deer woods takes a keen sense and gentle foot but it blows that you now have to act like there could be a claymore trip wire anywhere and your next step could be your last.

Now of course I cannot condone such behavior, but if the pranster should be caught, it would be hard to not bash some teeth out. (Of course people are known to trip from time to time. I mean who hasn't ever tripped?)
Old 10-13-2010, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes the stand was destroyed and the wire strung and I did look for footprints on my side of his line and did find tennis shoe prints not far away on a path I cut but I could not find his ladder in the woods.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:59 PM
Fork Horn

a few years back in OK a guy was having troubles with his neighbor cutting their fence line. He was out one day with a state biologist when the angry neighbor came up on horseback. long story, but the neighbor killed him, and almost killed the state biologist.

The point is, people go nuts over land and hunting. It's crazy to me that one would take someone's life over a small dispute.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:16 PM
Inactive

It hasn't been stated outright yet, but that wire across a trail is a criminal act!! It should be reported, if for no other reason than to cover the land owner's a$$. If someone hit that wire and was seriously hurt or even killed it would be murder !!!
Old 10-13-2010, 02:24 PM
Fork Horn

Some people....i cant believe someone would try to kill someone just because they were not allowed to hunt there.