Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Safty harness

Old 10-11-2010, 07:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default Safty harness

When I hunt from a tree I wear a safety harness but my question is what to do If I fall out my harness came with a razor tied to it so am I sopossed to cut the rope and fall straight down or what?? I was just wonderin
Old 10-11-2010, 07:52 PM
Fork Horn

Ya know, I've never thought about what to do after you fall....Thanks for posting this...sorry I can't help you haha.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always thought the same thing. I am glad someone else thinks the same way I do. Thats a scary thought!!!!!!! LMAO!!!!!

I got it, its a handy dandy cutter to get into the pesky cracker packs that don't tear like they are supposed to!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-11-2010, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

You're suppose to set up your tree ascending equipment, ie, steps, ladder, etc, so that if you fall and you are hanging on a harness, that they are in a position that you can grab onto or at least place a foot onto, before you cut the strap.

It's also recommended that you actually place your stand and tree ascending equipment much lower to the ground so you can practice the actual scenario of hanging and practicing to release yourself.(but not actually cut the strap)

Be sure to NOT use a safety belt. They are old news and one can slip out of them by falling and flipping upside down or the strap can ride up onto your chest preventing breathing should you actually fall. Use the newer harnesses that are either attached to a vest or one that you put on that goes over your torso.

iSnipe
Old 10-12-2010, 04:35 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Backwoods7
When I hunt from a tree I wear a safety harness but my question is what to do If I fall out my harness came with a razor tied to it so am I sopossed to cut the rope and fall straight down or what?? I was just wonderin
I thought this was interesting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFaDxFcx6Zc
Pretty cool harness and info!
Live it up! Doug
Old 10-12-2010, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Both "Seat-of-the-Pants" and "Hunter Safety System" harnesses come with a very well made DVD that provides clear, concise information about how to use their respective fall restraint systems, including how to optimize the opportunity to safely extricate your self from the harness should you fall.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

first tether yourself high enough to put a little tension while sitting. That way when you fall you have a good chance of getting back on stand. in the event of total stand failure
yo should always carry a strap or rope so you can use it to loop your foot to get tension off the tether. this way you can alternately move the strap s down to little by little come down the tree. Also it will help to get tension off your legs for circulation
Old 10-13-2010, 12:17 PM
Fork Horn

If you cannot get back into your stand Suspension Trauma can kill you. In this case a controlled fall by cutting the rope/harness would be preferred over death.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_trauma

Mitch
Old 10-13-2010, 02:24 PM
Fork Horn

I keep a screw in step in my vest pocket in addition to a relief strap. If I cannot grab my lower platform, screw the tree step into the tree and get your foot on it so you can get back into your stand, if you still can't climb back in you have the screw in step to relieve pressure until someone comes to help.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:47 PM
Fork Horn

I too have two screw in steps to relieve the pressure. These two steps are in my pants pocket also keep a whistle in my brest pocket for people to locate me. The whistle will allow me to make alot of noise to get attention and also keep my vocal cords from not being able to talk for awhile. The cell phone is also in my pants pocket. I hope I never have to use them to save me but they are security. plus alway's tell someone where you will be and what time you will return.

my two cents

CVG Ohio