Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Corridor

Old 10-07-2010, 07:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default Deer Corridor

I could use some input here. I am hunting public land that is right behind a carrot farm. I am unable to post a pic so I will describe. The management area sits right behind a carrot farm and has clear cut strip for power lines about 50 yards wide which is about 200 yards from the farm. The deer have to cross this area to get to the food source. I have been sitting the past 2 evenings right on the edge of woods and clear cut about 50 yards from a water source that had tracks leading up to it but had no luck. So what i did tonight was move farther down the powerlines and sat on the edge again in a very wide area that gave me visibility a little into the woods. I could also see about 400 yards down the clear cut. I had 3 deer come within 20 yards of me. 2 fawns and very small doe. The area I hunt has small deer... Average is 75lbs. About 400 yards down the clear cut there was a larger doe grazing in a grassy area. All the deer were moving in the direction of the carrot field which is what I predicted. My question is. I plan on hunting this same spot In the mining because I feel I may be too far from the bedding area and it simply is dark before they reach me. My question is I stay put and see what happens in the morning? Or should I move closer to the grassy area? Or should I move deeper into the woods? I know it may be hard but I could use some input. Thanks.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:51 AM
Fork Horn

The best thing for you to do is to watch. This will give you a better idea of where the main trail is. From what I have seen, deer usually travel the same paths day to day with some variation. That is until the rut kicks in. Then who knows, you could be sitting in the worst possible spot a wack a big buck. Good luck.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:35 PM
Fork Horn

If your the only one hunting there I would try to stay in one spot or clear out for the next 2 weeks. Maybe pick a good spot to hang a stand and then clear out for a while and let it all settle down. I wouldn't be to invasive this close to the pre rut - rut. Let the area cool down then when the pre rut and rut starts you can use scents and grunting to bring them to you. Otherwise your just guessing and if you keep moving around your will disturb the area. Just my two cents.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Banned

A deer is just like a family pet, it does 4 things, eats, drinks and poops and sleeps. I would imagine that they have some sort of routine that they follow every day.

The most important thing for a deer is that they must get a drink of water twice a day. They can go without eating or sleeping, but they have to have water.

I would move closer to the water source for now and wait it out.
It is not a video game where all you have to do is show up with your bow and shoot the first animal that comes down the deer trail.

Even though deer are creatures of habit, it is not common for most deer to use the exact same trail more then once - unless the area they are in is very inaccessible and the only way to get from point A to point B is to use the trail.

Deer in my opinion is not like cows - they forage for food as they travel and most times you will see deer standing for long periods of time and they only travel in short trips, stopping occasionally to look around and check out their surroundings.

For a bow hunter the power line is a poor choice because the deer will hold up just short of the clearing and will check out the situation before they go across the power line and will usually pick up their pace when they are in the open to get across the power line and then will hold up again on the other side before they venture into another area.

Its always my luck that they stop with either their head or their front shoulders behind a tree when they stop to look around.

The good thing about archery hunting is that most states the season is long compared to rifle season and you have many opportunities to harvest a deer and you are not limited to one or two weeks to do so.

If you enjoy being in the woods, sitting in your treestand - wait it out. If all you want is action, then I would use this time now for scouting and set up in the most probable area during the rut.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:46 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Mr. Deer Hunter
A deer is just like a family pet, it does 4 things, eats, drinks and poops and sleeps. I would imagine that they have some sort of routine that they follow every day.

The most important thing for a deer is that they must get a drink of water twice a day. They can go without eating or sleeping, but they have to have water.

I would move closer to the water source for now and wait it out.
It is not a video game where all you have to do is show up with your bow and shoot the first animal that comes down the deer trail.

Even though deer are creatures of habit, it is not common for most deer to use the exact same trail more then once - unless the area they are in is very inaccessible and the only way to get from point A to point B is to use the trail.

Deer in my opinion is not like cows - they forage for food as they travel and most times you will see deer standing for long periods of time and they only travel in short trips, stopping occasionally to look around and check out their surroundings.

For a bow hunter the power line is a poor choice because the deer will hold up just short of the clearing and will check out the situation before they go across the power line and will usually pick up their pace when they are in the open to get across the power line and then will hold up again on the other side before they venture into another area.

Its always my luck that they stop with either their head or their front shoulders behind a tree when they stop to look around.

The good thing about archery hunting is that most states the season is long compared to rifle season and you have many opportunities to harvest a deer and you are not limited to one or two weeks to do so.

If you enjoy being in the woods, sitting in your treestand - wait it out. If all you want is action, then I would use this time now for scouting and set up in the most probable area during the rut.
You ever thought about writing a book?