Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Geting Schooled By Does

Old 10-05-2010, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Red face Geting Schooled By Does

Opening day was friday for us in Indiana I think I slept 3 hours thursday night tops. Got to my new hunting area,got on stand and got busted 20 minutes into my hunt. The Does were sounding off leting everyone know I had arived. When the lights came on I saw at least 10 does north of me heading for the bedding area. The wind was blowing out of the north which I thought was good for my stand. Went back to the stand monday got busted again this time they were behind my stand instead of in front of it. I'm at a loss trying to figure that location out there seems to be so many deer in that location that I can't get into it in the morning at all. Moved across the road to some rear fields with good forest behind it. Had a Doe come into the field 12 yards behind me,I was on the ground behind a tree and some cover. She took a sniff after geting within 4 feet of clearing the brush into the open stoped back tracked and went out into the field 50 yards away. By the time I lost my light I had 13 Does pass in review to my front all no closer than 60 yards,it was quite a sight. They never busted me but they did swing wide of me,they are hard to figure out but I love the challege and as they learn about me I'm learning more about them and sooner I pray than later one of them is going to get a failing grade like I have gotten so far. I used a Buck Bomb Doe P last night before settling into my spot it seemed to at least keep them from figuring out what or where I was at and helped me get very close to the first one that showed up. 4 Feet was all I needed for a clear shot but she would not give it,darn bush,smart deer.

Last edited by doetrain; 10-05-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you are in the thick of it. But if you keep getting busted it's time to reset or adjust because if you don't the deer will move. Good Luck, I hope you nail a nice one!
Old 10-05-2010, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am going to make changes WTD because as you said they will move and I don't want that. This many Does will surely atract some Bucks in a few weeks in the pre rut period.As of now I have only seen 3 Bucks and they are very young but I know that there are mature Bucks in the area. I believe these younger ones are the offspring of these mature does. Good Hunting to you as well.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:55 PM
Banned

There is a lot of things missing here - like where are you hunting.
Which state and are you hunting on the ground or in a tree stand.

My guess is that you did not do your homework or you would have known that the first place was too close to a bedding area.

The second place was not close enough to the trails that lead to the food source. My opinion is that all you are doing is playing a guessing game.

The good news is that in my area of the country the rut does not come in for another 5 more weeks yet - so you have plenty of time to figure out what you are doing wrong and not do it anymore.

One bright spot to the whole episode is that it is still early in the season and things will look better as the leaves falls off the trees and where the does are at - the bucks will follow. So unless all you want to do is poke a doe - you need to wait until the rut to see the bucks following the does. I don't know of too many people who wants to poke a buck on the very first day. Especially when there is still 7 more weeks of hunting season left yet where I live.

Use this time as a learning experience and if nothing else - you will learn if there is any good bucks in your area and if there is - you will have a pretty good idea where he will be the first day of rifle season if you do not get him in archery season.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

When hunting a new area, I try to get downwind of where I think the deer will be. The goal on the first few hunts is to observe the deer and how they move through an area. Once a pattern develops I adjust to it. This may mean using another way to get on stand, changing locations, etc., so you can put yourself in range. A climber is helpful for this. I also use improvised natural ground blinds and have shot deer on the ground. I don't use much in the way of deer scents early in the season.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:59 AM
Fork Horn

A big doe is smarter than a big buck IMO. You figure, they have to look after little ones most of the time and are always looking for danger. I have never been busted by a buck, been busted countless times by does.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:10 AM
Fork Horn

once you educate a doe, she will always look for you first and bust you. I had to learn that the hard way, now if I get busted by a doe, she is the first thing in my freezer, or else she will ruin it for me the rest of her life. typical women. I have really never been busted by a buck at least not like an old doe.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Thanks for the input guys I have made some mistakes I will admit it, the mistakes a first full hunting season rookie makes learning how it is done. Mr. Deer Hunter here is some more input on why and how I have done it the way I have thus far. The tree stand I got busted trying to get to twice is located at least 150 yards south of the bedding area and 80 yards south from the bean field I scouted from 500 or more yards away in my car on the opposit side of the road. I have observed them from a distance and located the bedding area by going into the woods from the rear of their bedding area through the woods. I'm not going after a big Buck only I want at least 2 Does in the freezer before I focus on the Bucks all out. I like any other hunting would like to get a Buck bigger than the one I got last year. I want an 8 pointer because I took a 7 last year on the ground which is where I prefer to hunt. I have a climber and have prepared places for it as well all in good proven paths to the only water source in the area which is where I set up monday night and saw all the Does coming from that area. Now correct me if I'm wrong but Deer have more than one path to desired destinations and with a Bow only to hunt with at this time If I'm off 40 yards I'm not in a good shot situation being new at hunting and still learning to shoot consistantly at 0 to 30 yards. Any pointers given are gladly received with gratitude because I have worked hard to better my chances and I'm learning each time I go out. Uncle Norby as you have stated I use my times out to learn more about them,a Buck to me is a bonus but the meat is what I like more than the antlers. As regards trails and paths they criss cross all over each other in this area I'm hunting which has never been Bow hunted before only gun on November the 13th. I hope this helps you see my situation and what I'm up against.I did not hunt there again for two days after I was busted on friday,should I stay away more than two days after geting busted? I'm hunting in Indiana. Thanks

Last edited by doetrain; 10-06-2010 at 08:28 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:50 AM
Typical Buck

Doetrain don't fret it. You are learning. Although there are many deer trails where you are hunting, the deer will have main trails they use more than others going to and from bedding, food sources and water sources. You should be able to tell the difference by the amount of sign and how worn the trail is.You are going to start seeing a change in deer activity as the weather changes and rut approaches. Just keep doing what you know works which is ALWAYS play the wind, be as quiet as possible and be still. I would say the doe's are either hearing you or seeing you before they scent you. Just try a different approach, don't be where the deer think you are going to be. If the winds not right don't hunt it until it is. We as hunters are always passing up hunting spots because the wind is not right for that spot on that day, but sooner or later the wind will change making that the perfect spot to hunt. I always go by this saying: " Bust me once it's the deers fault, Bust me twice it's my fault." I'm sure you get the meaning. Find the main deer trails set-up about 20 yards away and you should be successful. Good luck!
Live it up! Doug
Old 10-06-2010, 09:15 AM
Fork Horn

Let it rest for a week and hunt a different area away from the bedding area and that particular food source. I would also consider hunting in the afternoon after having been busted twice in the morning. Rut is coming and the bucks conventional wisdom gets clouded at times. If the bed and food source are that close together, consider letting them rest until gun season when you can move off a bit.
I have a couple of areas where I would love to get a stand but entry into and out of the area would be impossible without detection. In my opinion, getting to the stand and out of the stand without being seen are as important as stand location.
I feel your pain. It sounds like you are doing everything right. Just stay after them and one will get close.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.