Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Beginner Help for deer hunting >

Beginner Help for deer hunting

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Beginner Help for deer hunting

Old 10-04-2010, 04:39 AM
Spike

Default Beginner Help for deer hunting

I'm wanting to get in to deer hunting - actually hoping to go next month. But I know absolutely nothing about it. And as a beginner, not looking to break the bank getting started.

Couple of questions:

1. Looking to purchase a 12 gauge. Just not sure exactly which to purchase? Some mentioned the Mossberg 500 combo.

2. What other equipment do I need? (again, see budget comment)

3. Any other tips for a beginner?

Thanks
Old 10-04-2010, 05:29 AM
Fork Horn

The first thing I'd do is use the search button. Good luck!
Old 10-04-2010, 06:01 AM
Fork Horn

1- Check the hunting laws in your state. If rifle hunting is allowed, I suggest starting with a rifle because it's easier to take longer distance shots. Once you develop your hunting skills you can progress into more challenging methods like archery or muzzleloading. If rifles are not allowed, then a shotgun with a slug barrel is your next best bet. Since you asked about shotguns, I prefer the Remington 870 over the Mossberg 500, but that's just my opinion. Others will argue vehemently; everyone has an opinion.

2- Equipment:

a. Camo clothing and blaze orange. Check your state's orange requirements - some mandate a vest, some mandate a hat, some allow the orange camo, others mandate solid orange. The camoflage breaks up your pattern, the orange lets other hunters see you so they don't shoot you. Deer do not see colors, so the orange will appear as a shade of grey to them. Wash all your clothes in detergent with NO UV BRIGHTENERS. Most commercial detergents have UV brighteners, which makes our clothes literally glow to a deer's eyes. Be prepared for all kinds of weather! Layer your clothing in cold weather.

b. Binoculars. Spend a lot of time glassing the edges of woods and open areas. You'd be surpised how many deer are hanging around the edges that most people never see.

3. Tips.

a. Don't get taken in by a lot of sales gimmicks. There are a lot of successful hunters who never buy scent control products, calls, or other gadgets.

b. Do some scouting before season starts -- look for rubs and scrapes, and areas that deer might bed down in or feed in (they like to eat acorns).

c. You might learn to rattle or use calls if hunting during the rut, but if you're hunting public land or other areas with a lot of pressure, these techniques probably won't work. In these high pressure areas the deer will probably be driven away by a lot of rattling and calling (they quickly learn that their friends get shot when responding to them). This is where scouting comes in -- hang out on avenues deer might use to "commute" between their bedding areas and feeding areas, hope to catch them travelling to and from.

d. MOVE SLOWLY! Deer will often spot you moving before you know they're there. I read one book where the author recommended 4-5 steps a minute when stalking. I prefer to sit in one place all day or at least half a day. Be in your chosen position before the sun comes up and catch the deer on their way back from feeding overnight.

e. Keep the wind in your face. Scent is the deer's #1 defense, and we stink to them. Lots of folks buy scent control laundry detergent, dryer sheets, deoderant, etc., as do I, but we still never completely get rid of our human odor. The best approach is to hunt with the wind in your face so any deer you are approaching can't smell you. If you don't, the deer will smell you a few hundred yards off through a thick woods, and be gone without you ever knowing they were there. I should have listed this one first -- it's the most important!

f. Have fun and enjoy the outdoors; harvesting a deer is not the be-all-end-all measurement of a good hunt. Be safe with your gun!!!
Old 10-04-2010, 07:44 AM
Spike

Appreciate the tip. But did use search 3 times, each time I received an error.

Originally Posted by Maryland_Whitetail
The first thing I'd do is use the search button. Good luck!
Old 10-04-2010, 07:45 AM
Spike

Thank you!

Originally Posted by mac266
1- Check the hunting laws in your state. If rifle hunting is allowed, I suggest starting with a rifle because it's easier to take longer distance shots. Once you develop your hunting skills you can progress into more challenging methods like archery or muzzleloading. If rifles are not allowed, then a shotgun with a slug barrel is your next best bet. Since you asked about shotguns, I prefer the Remington 870 over the Mossberg 500, but that's just my opinion. Others will argue vehemently; everyone has an opinion.

2- Equipment:

a. Camo clothing and blaze orange. Check your state's orange requirements - some mandate a vest, some mandate a hat, some allow the orange camo, others mandate solid orange. The camoflage breaks up your pattern, the orange lets other hunters see you so they don't shoot you. Deer do not see colors, so the orange will appear as a shade of grey to them. Wash all your clothes in detergent with NO UV BRIGHTENERS. Most commercial detergents have UV brighteners, which makes our clothes literally glow to a deer's eyes. Be prepared for all kinds of weather! Layer your clothing in cold weather.

b. Binoculars. Spend a lot of time glassing the edges of woods and open areas. You'd be surpised how many deer are hanging around the edges that most people never see.

3. Tips.

a. Don't get taken in by a lot of sales gimmicks. There are a lot of successful hunters who never buy scent control products, calls, or other gadgets.

b. Do some scouting before season starts -- look for rubs and scrapes, and areas that deer might bed down in or feed in (they like to eat acorns).

c. You might learn to rattle or use calls if hunting during the rut, but if you're hunting public land or other areas with a lot of pressure, these techniques probably won't work. In these high pressure areas the deer will probably be driven away by a lot of rattling and calling (they quickly learn that their friends get shot when responding to them). This is where scouting comes in -- hang out on avenues deer might use to "commute" between their bedding areas and feeding areas, hope to catch them travelling to and from.

d. MOVE SLOWLY! Deer will often spot you moving before you know they're there. I read one book where the author recommended 4-5 steps a minute when stalking. I prefer to sit in one place all day or at least half a day. Be in your chosen position before the sun comes up and catch the deer on their way back from feeding overnight.

e. Keep the wind in your face. Scent is the deer's #1 defense, and we stink to them. Lots of folks buy scent control laundry detergent, dryer sheets, deoderant, etc., as do I, but we still never completely get rid of our human odor. The best approach is to hunt with the wind in your face so any deer you are approaching can't smell you. If you don't, the deer will smell you a few hundred yards off through a thick woods, and be gone without you ever knowing they were there. I should have listed this one first -- it's the most important!

f. Have fun and enjoy the outdoors; harvesting a deer is not the be-all-end-all measurement of a good hunt. Be safe with your gun!!!
Old 10-04-2010, 10:30 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by carsRST
I'm wanting to get in to deer hunting - actually hoping to go next month. But I know absolutely nothing about it. And as a beginner, not looking to break the bank getting started.

Couple of questions:

1. Looking to purchase a 12 gauge. Just not sure exactly which to purchase? Some mentioned the Mossberg 500 combo.

2. What other equipment do I need? (again, see budget comment)

3. Any other tips for a beginner?

Thanks
Here is my tip.....Watch this.
Live it up! Doug
Old 10-04-2010, 10:48 AM
Banned

I think the original questions were never answered.

My question would be which sex are you, what is your age, where do you live, where do you plan to hunt, who do you plan to hunt with.

Without knowing which area you live in and exactly which area you plan to hunt - there is no way to guess what you need to actually hunt.

I would start out small game hunting before I tried to big game hunt and I would look for a mentor - someone to take you under their wing and teach you the basic's of hunting. Everything from gun safety to the rules of hunting.

Each area of the country has its own rules.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:31 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Mr. Deer Hunter
My question would be which sex are you, what is your age, where do you live, where do you plan to hunt, who do you plan to hunt with.

Are you looking for a date?
Old 10-04-2010, 03:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hunters Education Course
Old 10-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Fork Horn

Depending on the state you live in you might have to take a hunters safety course in order to get a hunting license. if so that is a great place find someone that could take you under their wing.