Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Um...is this...corn?

Old 10-03-2010, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Um...is this...corn?

These a couple of pictures from the farm I will be hunting this season. When the vegetation first started to come up, I didn't know what it was. But now that a couple of weeks have gone by, I'd say this is corn. I don't know how fast it grows, but it seems like it's in its early stages. Seems kinda odd since this is Oct 3, no? I live in Central Virginia, and though it doesn't get as cold as some places, it definitely gets cold here.

Also, will deer bring things like corn cobs out of a field and into an area with more cover? I saw a few chewed up corn cobs near the field but off in the woods a bit. I figured the deer brought them over, but I also wondered if someone had put them there.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:11 PM
Fork Horn

yep that is corn
Old 10-03-2010, 06:21 PM
Fork Horn

Yup for sure corn. And IMO I'd say it were squirrels or raccoons that brought the corn into the woods
Old 10-03-2010, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

When do you think it will mature? Just seems a bit late to me, but it's not like I know much about farming.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

I don't think that is corn. I think it is Cane or another type of sorghum. It looks to be drilled rather than planted from a planter. You don't drill corn usually.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's probably just regrowth after the corn was harvested. Remaining kernals that weren't picked up growing back. It won't mature. It's way too late for that.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

Its definately regrowth you can see the kernels sitting on top of the ground. Corn grows like a bad weed at first. But this late in the year it will never mature. If anything it will make deer hunting a problem later on if it gets tall enough and they will hide in the stuff.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow. There are acres and acres and acres full of it...just TONS of this stuff, and the fields are big. I didn't know regrowth would grow back like that. There's barely any ground that is bare. For regrowth, I'd figure that you'd just have some here and there.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is what happens with an early corn harvest. We will have a lot of it in IL. this year. It won't get much bigger than that.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Many farmers will disc the fields right after they harvest the corn. This will allow it to sprout and die after it freezes. Other wise it can come up in the spring when they plant beans. Now if you find a soybean field that has the beans come back up after harvest you can have the hottest place in the area. At least until is freezes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.