Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

over hunting?

Old 10-04-2010, 04:09 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by aaronu.
[ so im gonna put another stand that i can hunt on a north wind, which is the direction the wind was blowing this weekend..
Same here. It blew Saturday night and Sunday morning. I didn't see anything those two hunts. I did Saturday morning when the wind was calm. I think deer only like to move when the wind is calm so that they can smell everything. They stay put when they can't direct any scents. At least that's my opinion.[/QUOTE]

I live in NW La. & I saw nothing Sat. morning, then I went back that afternoon when the winds picked up and was out of the NNE and pretty steady. I was on my stand at 3:30pm and at 3:38 i had a doe run underneath my stand. I watched for about 5 mins, I had no shot (thats another story, ive already started a thread on). At 4pm I had a buck come in on me, we grunted several times at ea. other but he never presented himself for a shot. Neither knew I was there, I had no camo on but my only advantage was the wind in my face. I talked to a friend of mine who said they(their deer camp) had killed a 7 pt and 2 does Saturday evening.

To answer the orig. post, I too think you can overhunt a location. Ive done it myself and like someone posted, I ended up seeing the same does and yearlings everytime. No Bucks. I moved over to another location and started seeing different deer and a nice buck. Unfortunately, the later in the season it gets the less likely I am to walk to a stand thats on the other side of the property. I know Im being lazy and thats no excuse but thats my M.O.

Last edited by Bfree; 10-04-2010 at 04:22 PM.