Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

treestand height

Old 09-22-2010, 03:54 PM
Spike

The ladder stand that I have has 3-5ft. sections and 1 has to stay on there at all times to hold the footrest in place by a bolt. So with one ladder the seat is about 5'9"-6' high. Is this tooo short or low to the ground to be able to have a deer come within shotgun range?
Old 09-22-2010, 04:08 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by david33
I am hunting with a shotgun this year since I will be hunting woods instead of fields. How high do you have your treestands? We can hunt with a shotgun on the ground, but I thought my dad and I need to be off the ground to get our scent off the ground. We have to put up and take down our treestands everytime we go hunting, so I didn't know what height would be good and less ladder sections would be nice.
The height isn't as important as the back ground and camo cover. I have killed many deer in a cedar tree, only 6' off the ground. I personally like to be lower but well concealed.