Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What state has the best tasting meat? >

What state has the best tasting meat?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What state has the best tasting meat?

Old 09-21-2010, 05:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default What state has the best tasting meat?

Sitting and waiting for the weekend for my first sit in a stand of the season and all I can think about having a full freezer meat. Braised shank, meatloaf, burgers, tacos, sloppy joes--you name it, I have cooked it and I can't wait to get a refreshed freezer to cook from.
I am new to deer hunting, but I had my fair share of venison. However, the only meat I have ever eaten has been from either from north central Kansas and central Colorado. From what I could tell, the Kansas deer is usually a bit more mild and less fishy than the colorado deer, but who knows if this is always the case. So I ask myself, "What makes good tasting deer meat?" Is it their food? Is it their water source? Is it the climate? What have your experiences been like with venison across the country?
Old 09-21-2010, 05:11 PM
Spike

Thumbs up

Try the deer meat in Nebraska
Old 09-21-2010, 05:19 PM
Typical Buck

Anywhere where their main diet is alfalfa, wheat, corn, soybeans, milo. The deer from northern OK seems a lot milder in flavor than the deer from se OK. Down there, the diet is acorns, acorns and more acorns, along with a few pecans, plums, berries and native grasses. They seem to have a more bold flavor.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:31 PM
Typical Buck

Learn something new every day!
Old 09-21-2010, 06:51 PM
Spike

NEBRASKA!!!!!!!..Being from Nebraska i no for a fact...CORNFED..GO BIG RED!!!
Old 09-21-2010, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

I wouldn't doubt cornfed deer would have a good taste--it does wonders for beef. It seems like this year, the land I hunt (and all the surrounding farms) has all converted to mostly beans with some corn.

And wildlife biologist: 2 things.

1. You're going down on the 7th after leaving the big 12.
2. Is there any basis for bucks in the rut having a weird whuang to their meat?
Old 09-21-2010, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

the best tasting deer meat come from the smartest deer in the u.s., in ALABAMA!!!!!!
Old 09-21-2010, 09:03 PM
Typical Buck

A big part of meat taste and quality is dependent on how it was taken care of and processed. Keep the chest cavity open, cool it down, keep it clean, keep it out of the sun and trim the fat from the meat before packaging. Corn does help the taste. Sage does not.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Seems like the beginning of a sales pitch

Some fellow with some 10.000 acres for a hunting lease would gobble up that saying. Probably increase the going rate to the nimrods.

Where I hunted it was the worst tasting meat that hardened after a quick broil. And I never told where I put my tree stand neither.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

My guess is that the average deer does not recognize 'state line boundaries' and tend to follow the old adage "you are what you eat". I prefer eastern CO grain fed deer to all others I've tried but occasionally they run into KS. Who knows maybe they taste different when they jump the border.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.