Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

ground blind vs lock on

Old 09-20-2010, 06:45 PM
Spike

Default ground blind vs lock on

what are the pros and con of a ground blind and a lock on stand. gotta make a descion soon. also if you feel strongly about ladder stands i could do that but they are not a portable. and i dont like climbers
Old 09-20-2010, 06:57 PM
Spike

Ground blinds are much more portable than lock ons. What kind of country are you hunting? If there is a lot of brushy area and it's thick I would go with the lock on stand to get a little elevation above the brush. If it's more open you might want to go with the ground blind. A ground blind will leave more scent on the ground. Lock on allows for scent to be higher off the ground.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:57 PM
Typical Buck

So much depends on the location. If there are no trees big enough to support a stand, use a ground blind. I prefer ladder stands to lock ons because you can use a smaller tree and I think they are easier (safer) to get in and out of. Ladders are portable if you have a buddy to help you. My 13 year old daughter likes to help me put them up.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:08 AM
Fork Horn

That Is a hard question. like the post before it depends on the area you are in. For us (my son and I ) we have 4 hang on 2 ladders and 2 ground blinds and I also move around with my climber which is my favorite so far. we have used ground blinds for a quick set up in very thick cover with a open trail near by that has worked in the past,but you realy have to brush it in good so the deer dont spook. Has for portability a hang on is not very portable imop. There are a few portable ladder stands out there but the weight might be a little heavy. Good luck