Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

good deer call

Old 09-18-2010, 05:24 PM
Spike

Default good deer call

Sorry for all the different threads that I'm posting, but I'm trying to get some new gear. I'm looking for a grunt call or an all in one. I have a bleat can, but I've only used it a couple times. I saw the flextone bone collector call at Dick's today, but I don't know much about any of them. Also, what about the rattle bags to put in my backpack. When do you call and how do you know which to use. Sorry for all the questions.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:15 PM
Banned

Gimmicks - most of them don't work except one or two days out of the year. Usually the same day your wife makes you cut the grass or your boss demands you work or loose your job.

The only one I really liked was the doe bleet can.

Rattle bags, grunt calls even deer decoys can do as much to scare a big deer away as it will attract them.

Just think of it in human terms. You been living in the same neighborhood all of your life. You know every tree, bush and animal for a country mile. Then one day, out of the clear blue, this big old buck sounding noise comes from out of the bushes.

What do you do? Stand your ground like a man, or do you run like a day old Popsicle in the sun. YOUR BEST BET IS TO SIT REALLY STILL AND NOT LET THE DEER SEE MOVEMENT. DEER HAS REALLY GOOD EYE'S AND THEY CAN SEE MOVEMENT A REALLY LONG WAYS OFF. THEY DON'T HAVE TO SEE A ENTIRE PERSON TO GET SCARED.
ALL THEY REALLY NEED TO SEE IS SOMETHING THAT DOESN'T BELONG WHERE IT IS AT. You start rattling a bag and the next thing you know the buck is headed for the next county.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:18 AM
Spike

I have used a rattle bag a few times. The very first time I used it I was down in a field in a valley between two small and very densly vegitated mountains. I had two very eager bucks come into the field, one from each mountain. I shot a very nice eight pointer. That was the very beginning of the rut, and when using the bag later in the rut, I found it to be less effective. So, I wil say they work, but do not seem to work past the early stages of the rut. This is just my experience, others may have very different experiences.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:44 AM
Typical Buck

I like the trutalker grunt tube. thats about all i will use. Not much luck with Rattling, although i have gotten it to work once in a blue moon. But for the most part just a low grunt here and there. I have had great success with the trutalker (properly used). Grunts defiantly are more effective before and during the rut.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:58 AM
Fork Horn

i have used rattle bags and grunts before. I quit using them for this reason. I am not saying they dont work, but think of it this way. most people want to kill a nice mature buck. a nice mature buck hhas got that way by dodging hunters as well as knowing when to walk away. i believe if a big buck is challenged he will fight, but why would he go looking for one. a grunt is great for calling a deer back sometimes. maybe they got a little sppoked and they are just walking away. use that grunt to just let them know, hey that sound was a deer come on back. i dont like to just grunt when i see nothing because you never know when a deer has snuck within 20 yards of you and then all you are doing is saying hey im a hunter with this years latest grunt call. what you do is your decision, but remember that when you use either make sure there are no deer close by and make sure they are not looking at. also be prepared to make you shot right after you use them because you might no have the oppurtunity for much movement
Old 09-20-2010, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a stand where I hunt over a very thick sapling thicket. Rattling works great for me, but usually brings in small bucks most often in my experience. I rattle all throughout October. First buck I ever shot with a bow came in to a rattle bag.

I also use grunt calls. Sometimes solo, sometimes I couple it with rattling. The past 2 years I have dropped bucks that came in to a grunt tube.

Can calls work great when bucks are looking for hot does. I use it with doe estrous wafers and have shot a few bucks that came in with the call...and used the wafer to position the deer where I can shoot it.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:15 AM
Spike

I use the MAD Growler. It is a great sounding call and I have had good luck with it in October and November. It works good in a rattling sequence too.