Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer and goats

Old 09-19-2010, 10:41 AM
Fork Horn

Default deer and goats

Just wondering if anybody has read or noticed similarities in relationship to deer and common farm goats(not very familiar with types of goats). Seems to me they share some anatomical features as well as behaviors. The basis of my question is from where I hunt. The farmer has cows and goats and I am wondering if maybe I would be smart to hunt in the pastures that hold the goats. The pastures are wooded and have water sources in them. Just pokin around for opinions or experience.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:35 AM
Fork Horn

I'm not sure deer would prefer a goat pasture over a cow pasture or not. Aren't goats kinda territorial?
Old 09-19-2010, 12:30 PM
Fork Horn

dont know just food for thought. maybe the goat bucks could do all the rattling for me.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:37 PM
Spike

I hate the fact that people come on here and try to advertise their business or pawn off what they do on us. This is a sport/hobby for us hunters. There are several threads/post that have done this recently. Take for instance this idiot above, Willaim James, if I wanted to read about finance stuff or money management Id do it on their sites. LEAVE our sport alone. Sorry didnt mean to high jack the thread, just had to vent.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deer and goats don't get alone to well ,IMO
Old 09-19-2010, 01:26 PM
Fork Horn

I know of a guy who shot a goat once in southern WV. It was coming through the woods around dark and he lowered the boom on it. The owner wasn't too happy! But in his defense it looked alot like a deer! It was identical in color and it kept it's head down until he shot.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah id probably have to stay out of there late season if I dont do to well. Might be a couple goats missing. haha.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jerrrrstanley
I know of a guy who shot a goat once in southern WV. It was coming through the woods around dark and he lowered the boom on it. The owner wasn't too happy! But in his defense it looked alot like a deer! It was identical in color and it kept it's head down until he shot.
As I understand it, goats and deer are "related". The first buck I ever saw in the woods, I thought was a goat!
Old 09-20-2010, 04:59 PM
Typical Buck

My cousin told me a story about when the neighbors goat was makin' a bunch of noise(baaah,baaah) just before a fine buck emerged from the brush at about 10:00 AM. Maybe the territorial instinct!!!
Old 09-20-2010, 06:57 PM
Spike

deer and goats are classified under the same speices