Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scent control?

Old 09-15-2010, 08:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default Scent control?

So ive been reading alot of scent control topics on here and some guys seem to be hardcore and others seem to care less. It got me wondering how scent free can we really be? I mean i wear the hats i hunt in year round and i wear my rubber boots to the farm and the realease i use to bowhunt with i also use to bowfish with. I spray everything down befor i go hunt but i gurantee it doesnt get rid of every little thing. What do some of you guys think?
Old 09-15-2010, 09:07 AM
Typical Buck

I personally don't buy into the scent control stuff that much. Can they reduce your scent, maybe, but I am not sure it can do it enough. Besides that, what did you eat? Are you chewing gum or tobacco? Did you brush your teeth? The deer will smell your breath as well as the rest of you. I do use scent free soap on the clothes and sometimes myself and scent free deo. Other than that, I try to stay downwind from them. I think the scent free craze is more about separating a hunter from his money.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:37 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ADVWannabee
I personally don't buy into the scent control stuff that much. Can they reduce your scent, maybe, but I am not sure it can do it enough. Besides that, what did you eat? Are you chewing gum or tobacco? Did you brush your teeth? The deer will smell your breath as well as the rest of you. I do use scent free soap on the clothes and sometimes myself and scent free deo. Other than that, I try to stay downwind from them. I think the scent free craze is more about separating a hunter from his money.
I had to double check who posted this thread. While reading it I thought maybe I had responded and forgot. Took the words right out of my mouth I do the exact same things as listed above and believe scent control is important but not to the extent some of these people think. When it really boils down to it, alot of mature deer killing is LUCK anyhow.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:17 AM
Fork Horn

Yep, to all the above
Old 09-15-2010, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's what I do and have had great success with it. I wash all my clothes with Scent-A-Way and shower with it the morning of the hunt. About 150 yards or so from my stand I spray the bottom of my boots with raccoon pee, then at my stand (ladder) I spray raccoon pee at the base of the tree and on the first coule of ladder rungs that I touch, then spray again arround the tree at body height where I sit in the stand. The thing is to try to eliminate as much of your scent as posseble then cover the rest. Try it and I'll bet you will get hooked just like I am. I won't go into the woods deer hunting without a bottle of raccoon pee in my pocket.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

just don't spray doe pee, or god for sake do in heat pee on your self. the outcome will be not in your favor.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:41 PM
Site Buck Guru

Originally Posted by NEBRbruiser
When it really boils down to it, alot of mature deer killing is LUCK anyhow.
Yeah! The more hours/days/ years I put into it, the luckier I get.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:54 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by pluckit
Here's what I do and have had great success with it. I wash all my clothes with Scent-A-Way and shower with it the morning of the hunt. About 150 yards or so from my stand I spray the bottom of my boots with raccoon pee, then at my stand (ladder) I spray raccoon pee at the base of the tree and on the first coule of ladder rungs that I touch, then spray again arround the tree at body height where I sit in the stand. The thing is to try to eliminate as much of your scent as posseble then cover the rest. Try it and I'll bet you will get hooked just like I am. I won't go into the woods deer hunting without a bottle of raccoon pee in my pocket.
Senseless.. If you want to do all that.. good for you! But you don't need to do all that to go undetected in the woods. Been going in the woods for over 45 years and hunting the same place for over 25... you don't need to do that to get close to deer. Having said that I'm happy for you if that is what you like to do.
Have a great season!
Live it up! Doug
Old 09-15-2010, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Everyone has things they do to build thier confidence and that's one of mine. I'm sure you have your's too.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kswild
Senseless.. If you want to do all that.. good for you! But you don't need to do all that to go undetected in the woods. Been going in the woods for over 45 years and hunting the same place for over 25... you don't need to do that to get close to deer. Having said that I'm happy for you if that is what you like to do.
Have a great season!
Live it up! Doug
easy to say comin from a gun hunter, but from a bow hunter point of view... it aint that so..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.