Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scent control?

Old 09-15-2010, 03:14 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
easy to say comin from a gun hunter, but from a bow hunter point of view... it aint that so..
I'm am a bow hunter!!!! Not to be mean but sometimes it seems like you guys have absolutely no experience in the woods.
I have killed a buck from 20 yards standing on a dead tree about 4 feet off the ground with a bow and no scent control. The buck never knew I was there. Just saying! I will have video proof of how close you can get in the wild with absolutely no scent control other than playing the wind...
Live it up! Doug
Old 09-15-2010, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kswild
I'm am a bow hunter!!!! Not to be mean but sometimes it seems like you guys have absolutely no experience in the woods.
I have killed a buck from 20 yards standing on a dead tree about 4 feet off the ground with a bow and no scent control. The buck never knew I was there. Just saying! I will have video proof of how close you can get in the wild with absolutely no scent control other than playing the wind...
Live it up! Doug
easy fer you to say, but to be in the rifle contest and not the bow contest, says it all....no disrespect..just saying. it aint a big deal, i aint raggin ya
Old 09-15-2010, 03:28 PM
Spike

Default scent control

maybe it isnt as necessary as some believe !! I feel like it works for me and maybe that is all it is just convidence that it may work!! I like to shower and keep my clothes in a bag till I get to the woods then change. I wear rubber boots, and put coon urine around my stand. But all this said THE NUMBER ONE THING IS THE WIND!!! hunt with it in your favor. I never hunt without one of those bottles of wind checking powder.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Senseless.. If you want to do all that.. good for you! But you don't need to do all that to go undetected in the woods. Been going in the woods for over 45 years and hunting the same place for over 25... you don't need to do that to get close to deer. Having said that I'm happy for you if that is what you like to do.
Have a great season!
Live it up! Doug

Some deer hunters are just not observant. You hunt the same place every year for 25 years (i could've told you that without you even saying it based on your experience) and because of that you advocate no one need to be persistent about scent control. You just don't understand what's really going on. For starters the deer are used to your scent. Secondly you've got the place figured pretty well. Go some place you don't have figured with your stink and see what happens. Many of the people who advocate scent control are new (their stink isn't known) and they don't have the place figured so they need all the help they can get.

I hunt new places every year, it matters.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt different places every year. Sit down, shut up, and you'll shoot a deer. Or maybe deer just love Irish Spring soap? lol
Old 09-15-2010, 03:42 PM
Typical Buck

easy fer you to say, but to be in the rifle contest and not the bow contest, says it all....no disrespect..just saying. it aint a big deal, i aint raggin ya
I know! With as little time as I spend round here I didn't actually know you guys had a bow contest... All I kept hearing was the rifle one. hahahah That's OK. I think maybe I've gotten away with stuff in the woods that other people would say "No Way" That's just been my experience. Other factors beside scent, lead to a successful hunt, knowing deer habits, where they are going to be, playing the wind, rattling them in, grunts, bleats. I hunted the same spot for sooooo long I know where they are, when they will most likely come through, what they do.... Don't get me wrong I have been busted many many times because they smelled me BUT I was in the wrong place.. or the wind changed. My question is... why not just put "hot doe in heat urine" on your boots and have them follow you right to your tree or stand???
Live it up! Doug
Old 09-15-2010, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nodog
Some deer hunters are just not observant. You hunt the same place every year for 25 years (i could've told you that without you even saying it based on your experience) and because of that you advocate no one need to be persistent about scent control. You just don't understand what's really going on. For starters the deer are used to your scent. Secondly you've got the place figured pretty well. Go some place you don't have figured with your stink and see what happens. Many of the people who advocate scent control are new (their stink isn't known) and they don't have the place figured so they need all the help they can get.

i agree, this is possible
Old 09-15-2010, 03:48 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by nodog

You inviting me up for a hunt??? hahahaha Sounds like an invitation to me . Have a great season!!!
Live it up! Doug
Old 09-15-2010, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know! With as little time as I spend round here I didn't actually know you guys had a bow contest... All I kept hearing was the rifle one. hahahah That's OK. I think maybe I've gotten away with stuff in the woods that other people would say "No Way" That's just been my experience. Other factors beside scent, lead to a successful hunt, knowing deer habits, where they are going to be, playing the wind, rattling them in, grunts, bleats. I hunted the same spot for sooooo long I know where they are, when they will most likely come through, what they do.... Don't get me wrong I have been busted many many times because they smelled me BUT I was in the wrong place.. or the wind changed. My question is... why not just put "hot doe in heat urine" on your boots and have them follow you right to your tree or stand???
Live it up! Doug
heck ya, there are still alternates list going, think they need a few more

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2010...n-up-here.html

better act fast 6 more needed.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:52 PM
Typical Buck

heck ya, there are still alternates list going, think they need a few more

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2010...n-up-here.html

better act fast 6 more needed.
Thanks Half I signed up!
Live it up! Doug

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.