Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Eye Relief - Issues.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:14 AM
Spike

Default Eye Relief - Issues.

I am having some issues that I need help to resolve i have no ideas on this so any help would appreciated. I have a brand new TC Pro Hunter and i have brand new Bushnell Trophy XLT with the factory scope mount the scope has to be pushed so far back that the back of the scope is loose and i can move it just by pushing on it also the eye relief is 3.5in. this gun is super light and the scope hits me on the bridge of my nose sometimes but really not that hard it is usually at the end of the recoil and just barely taps me I can move away from the scope with very little sight picture reduction and the scope will not touch me what should I do to stop the scope from moving at the back end and what is the bast way not to allow the scope to hit me, when I only have 3.5in eye relief and the gun recoil is probably something like 3.6in? And before i get some smart ass answer i have tried to hold the gun very tightly to my should that did not help made it worse actually and then i tried to hold the gun out a little bit and that worked but sight picture was almost all dark at that point.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:41 AM
Typical Buck

I just got the Pro Hunter in blackpowder this spring and put the Nikon Omega 3x9 scope on it with no problems. It doesn't hit me and I don't have any eye relief problems. You might just need to get a different scope.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:00 AM
Spike

That scope also has a 5in eye relief. I am sure i would have no problems if i had a scope that had a 5in eye relief.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:13 PM
Fork Horn

the back of the scope is loose and i can move it just by pushing on it
Let's start at the beginning. Is the scope base loose? Are the rings loose? Is the scope tube so flimsy that it is flexing if you push it?

If the scope is mounted correctly, it should not move. The Pro Hunter isn't that lightweight, and is probably at least 7 lbs with a scope. Unless you are shooting a magnum round, 3.5" should be enough eye relief. Please let us know how the back of the scope is loose.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:41 PM
Spike

Ok the back of the scope base not the scope is loose i can make it wiggle when i touch it the front of the base is solid. so the rear of the base next the the chamber of the barrel is slightly loose, it has very little play but it has play. it usually comes to reset exactly where it should be but i fear this could be throwing my shot off. although this is a slug gun and i do not need it to accurate out to 300 yds. so it may not make any difference. anyhow the big problem is the eye relief.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like you need to carry it to a gun shop and get someone that is knowledgeable about scopes to look at it. Sounds like it is not mounted properly, and it surely won't hold zero like it is.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Step 1 - remove ring screws.
Step 2 - remove scope and rings.
Step 3 - Remove bases - visually inspect threads in receiver area - if not stripped, degrease.
Step 4 - Install bases properly, with a lok-tite or similar compound made for this (the kind that allows for removal later).
Step 5 - Re-mount scope to fit you with ring screws (degreased) just tight enough to hold the scope, but loose enough for it to slide. This means with eyes closed you establish proper shooting form with a good cheek-weld to the stock, then open your eyes. Start with the scope forward as far as it will go and move the scope backward until you have a full sight picture when you open your eyes.
Step 6 - tighten rings screws. You may also use lok-tite on the ring screws.

Be sure your crosshairs are vertical/horizontal before tightening.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

If there is any play at all in that bad boy, you ain't gonna hit the same spot consistently. Do what you have to do to get it tight. It absolutely should not move. Also, 3.5 eye relief should be enough. I haven't had any experience with that scope. I shoot out of Leupold VX-I's exclusively. Relatively inexpensive, plenty of eye relief and with Leupold's full lifetime warranty, you will never have to buy another one. Sure, there may be more expensive scopes that offer a little bit better performance, but this is more than sufficient for me.