Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

unethical hunting

Old 09-08-2010, 04:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

A few years ago there was an article about a group that went up in the mountains, set up basically a bench rest, got out their special rifles/bullets, and waited for something to move out that far. Then they would lob bullets, sometimes taking multiple shots before the animal moved because they wouldn't hear the shot, basically hoping for a hit. They admitted that they rarely went to the spot the animal was at to see if there was a blood trail if the animal didn't luckily drop at the shot. I've always said that if it was legal to have at it, but this type of shooting is one that I'm not in agreement with.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:56 AM
Fork Horn

most hunting rifles these days have the ability to take game at 500 yards or less.i myself dont think anyone should shoot over 400.and thats dicey on live animals. with out useing a ballistic chart i cant even tell how much hold over you need at 400. and i agree with you 100% paantlers. even though you can do it you never would,,thats a
ethical hunter...way to go
Old 09-08-2010, 05:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

if 400 is good for you, thats great!
just like you can do that with 400, sum people can do that at 1000.
they feel the same way about 1000 as you do 400...
so whats the real difference? answer...there is no difference...same thing. comfortable zone

http://www.longrangehunting.com/
go take a look around there...

these guys are skilled and know their ****.
these guys didnt roll outta bed and decide to do this today...
some will tell ya they been doin it 30 years and are just figuring it all out!
we depend on guys like these to take mile long shots to protect our own.
did ya see the "pirate" thing? where they shot like 3 people, at sea in wavy conditions, on different boats, at the same time?
some guys have it, and some dont...i wish i did, but i aint hating on those that can
Old 09-08-2010, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ahhhh sup vb, wb...see ya tonight
Old 09-08-2010, 08:38 AM
Typical Buck

Talking couple of questions....since you brought it up????

Originally Posted by vermont bowhunter
the fact remains that it doesnt matter how good a shot someone is ,takeing shots at game is not only foolhearty it is unethical...we dont hunt with 50 cal barrett rifles nore do we hunt in pefect windless days...one gust of wind ,,one tweak of your form and you have a badly wounded animal that will suffer for days on end, and what if peta gets ahold of this kind of thing...they would have a feild day with look at this...as hunters we have the duty to dispatch our game in a quick clean harvest...we all know this doesnt always happen,,but why should we take chances like this...game animals are not pie plates the move and breathe..a 30-06 150 grn psp bullit
traveling at 2820fps drops 522.85 inches at 1000 yards when zeroed at 100 yards.thats 43.57 feet...so this shows you whats involved at long range shots,,,national match shoots in little rock uses 36 inch bull eyes at 1000 yards..3 ft bullseyes. fyi
Why would you choose a 30.06 for a 1000 yard shot?

Why would you zero your weapon at 100 yards, for a 1000 yard shot?

You mention wind, what about air density and dew point?

Why would you start this thread if PETA is a concern of yours?

One little tweak in form, at a 1000 yards, makes that animal safer than it ever has been.

You never mentioned (what I think is most important), is the kinetic energy at 1000 yards for your round?

Last edited by tight360; 09-08-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:43 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
they feel the same way about 1000 as you do 400...
so whats the real difference? answer...there is no difference...same thing. comfortable zone
Same thing I said in the headshot thread...it's not about what you're comfortable with, it's about how confident you are that the shot is low risk (of wounding). Some guys are apparently quite comfortable lobbing random shots in, hoping for a hit. It's a high risk shot though if they're not confident in the likelihood of a hit. It's legal, but not ethical. The only ethical shot is one with a high likelihood of killing the animal.

From a dictionary:

eth·ics
–plural noun

1. ( used with a singular or plural verb ) a system of moral principles: the ethics of a culture.

2. the rules of conduct recognized in respect to a particular class of human actions or a particular group, culture, etc.: medical ethics; Christian ethics.
So in other words, if you're OK with wounding an animal and letting it slink off to die a long, slow death (and not be recoverable), then high risk shots are certainly ethical according to your own morals. However, I think most hunters here would agree that's not an acceptable practice, and as such, high risk shots are unethical. It's up to each hunter to determine which shots are high risk given their individual equipment and skill level.

Last edited by UPHunter08; 09-08-2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

"HUNTING" for me means trying to get close, not trying to get far away.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:10 AM
Typical Buck

Again as I have also said in other posting. What ever your comfort level and abilities are. I would not try a shot of 100 yards as I know my abilities are not that good even with the best rifle and loads. So for me anything over 100 yards is unethical. So does that mean it is the same for all other hunters. Not likely. Each of us must set our own ethical standards due to our own abilities. Can some make a kill shot at 1000 yards? Yes they can so is it an ethical shot for all of us? No it is not. So again asking such a generic question like is a 1000 yards shot ethical is like asking if you can kill a deer with a slingshot. There are maybe one or two people in the world who could but not the majority of us. So what is right or wrong depends on the individual and the laws of the area that you are hunting in.

Why do people keep asking these generic questions that have no one answer that is right?
Old 09-08-2010, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by vapahunter
Again as I have also said in other posting. What ever your comfort level and abilities are.
Yep. Pretty much what I just said.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:43 PM
Typical Buck

that's stupid and not even hunting!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.