Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Anaphylaxis shock

Old 09-07-2010, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Anaphylaxis shock

Now I know what it looks like. My BIL and I were working the deer leases over the weekend. He got stung by a wasp and ten minutes later was on the ground, unconcious, shallow breathing, eyes rolling up. Fortunately, we were not in the deep woods and instead on his farm so we were able to get an ambulance there.

My BIL has been stung before without a reaction, and I got stung on Saturday without a reaction. Sometimes you just don't know, I guess. He was out of the ER yesterday.

The doctor prescribed an Epinephrine injector to carry with him now.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:45 PM
Typical Buck

Sound like he developed adult onset reactions to a sting. I have been a state certified EMT in Virginia for many years and worked as a volunter on our local rescue squad for a while some time ago. It's not uncommon to see this and it could be a reaction to only one kind a bee but not likley. He needs to keep his eppi pin with him at ALL times from now on even in the winter! Odds are it will make him very lathargic and he still should seek medical attention for the first few times he uses it just to be on the safe side.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:56 PM
Spike

Your body does not have antibodies (things that make the immune system attack) the first time you are exposed to an allergen (thing you are allergic to). After the first exposure the antibodies are circulating in your blood and the reaction is much quicker. The reaction will become worse every time an exposure occurs. Sprintflyer is right he does need to carry and epi pen from now on. If he needs to use the epi pen he should be seen because the reaction can still be going on after the epi wears off. The epi does not stop the reaction. It dilates your bronchioles (air passages in the lungs) and constricts you blood vessels keeping your blood pressure from dropping critically low. Benedryl (Diphenhydramine) and steroids will stop the reaction. Benedryl is an antihistamine and steroids temporarily shut off the immune system.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

from this point on always carry a eppy pen