Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

So Much Food!

Old 09-07-2010, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Smile So Much Food!

I spent the whole day geting a couple of new sites ready for Oct.1 and it was a great day of labor in the deer woods. While scouting this new property I've been given permission to hunt I could not believe all the food sources on this property,acorns from white oaks and red,hickory,pecan,pears and fields of beans border it on the north. Also persimmon trees here and there not to mention the only water source that is not dried up within a mile of these food sources an under ground steam filling up into pools of water for the deer in the creek bed that cuts the property in two. You can see where they come down the dry part of the creek to get to the water also the banks. I hope all this food does not make it difficult to figure out where they will come out at from their beding areas to eat. I'm in southern Indiana. Are any of you seeing a lot of acorns and other nuts growing in your areas this year? Our fields are full of beans and corn this year. The only thing we are short on is water in our creeks and ponds. I chose to put two stand sites by two big white oak trees full of nuts. Is this a good choice compared to all the other nut trees in the area? The beans are 100 yards away from my stand and the beding areas are behind me about 200 yards in thick cover. Does this sound like a good set up?

Last edited by doetrain; 09-07-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

D-Train

Where I am, white oaks drop early, almost too early for bow season, because the deer clean them up first. They can be a real good bet if they are not very plentiful, and the trees are still holding some come October 1. Otherwise, position your stands based on general deer movement rather than food, if food is plentiful. You know the trails that are there every year? They show you how deer move from area to area.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:07 PM
Typical Buck

Sounds to me if you sit on the water source you should be able to pick and choose, thats were I would be, all day long. We also have a lot of acorns here in west central Wisconsin, Walnuts are loaded as well. But different than your area, we have no shortage of water.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:21 PM
Fork Horn

Your water source is where I would be also, all that food and no water sounds like there's gonna be some thirsty deer
Old 09-08-2010, 03:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would not rely on water. Deer can get most of the water they need from dew. Of course, if you see a lot of tracks around the water source that is good, but many times it is only the mud that makes the tracks visible for quite a while, so it seems like there are more tracks than everywhere else.