Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Your states general success ratio? >

Your states general success ratio?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Your states general success ratio?

Old 07-28-2010, 10:04 AM
Spike

Default Your states general success ratio?

A while back I heard a statistic from the fish and game authorities in NJ that 3 out of 10 deer hunters are successful. I think that was referring to firearms hunters during the regular deer season and permit deer seasons, but not factoring in bow hunters. What is the hunters success ratio in your state?
Old 07-28-2010, 10:06 AM
Typical Buck

I have no clue but Id venture that its not too high.....
Old 07-28-2010, 10:12 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by podunk kennels
I have no clue but Id venture that its not too high.....
Hey I was at the Nickelodean Hotel near Disney and I say plenty of dog deers cruising around the area and it was pretty built up. It seems like they were living in the undeveloped blocks and tracts of land between the big resorts in the greater Disney area,
Old 07-28-2010, 10:19 AM
Typical Buck

Because nobody hunts over there. Many leases near that area go for 3 to 6 thousand a year per person. The majority of Floridian deer hunters cant afford that.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

In the areas I hunt, if you hunt enough days, I would say that close to 100% have the opportunity to shoot a deer, often more than one.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Haven't checked the standard the way you listed it but Va.,IIRC,had a total reported kill of 256,000 deer last year so somebody's doing good!
Old 07-28-2010, 02:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I guess you can compare success rates within your own states areas from area to area...but even so I don't think that says much.

Less you have detailed stats, one area may just have a lot of guys taking does/cows, driving up success rates, vs. other areas.

On almost any hunt I've been on I've passed on a doe/cow/immature buck/bull, I could be 100% but instead my avg. is probably 15% etc...

Personally I'd like to see more guys taking does/cows than spikes, forks, 4x4's etc...
Old 07-28-2010, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Been this way for decades

The successful hunter is satisfied with the state's herd.

The unsuccessful hunter is complaining that the deer herd was wiped out. Since he was last successful.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

PA deer harvest is usually around 350,000 deer. Maybe 900,000 hunters. Hard to put a success rate on it without knowing days hunted. Some guys hunt 70 days a year, some just opening day of buck.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deer numbers are much higher in north Louisiana than in south Louisiana, so success rates are much higher in north LA than south LA. The one exception in south LA is West Feliciana Parish, where deer numbers are high. The parish I hunt has some of the highest numbers in the state, if not the highest. Success is based on what area you are hunting. On my property in Union Parish, I could limit out every season if I chose to, but I usually don't. I read somewhere that 10% of the hunters in the country kill 90% of the deer. Don't know how reliable that info is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.