Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Your states general success ratio? >

Your states general success ratio?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Your states general success ratio?

Old 07-29-2010, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

New Hampshire has an estimated 85,000 deer.
About 60,000 hunters and we shoot 10,000 deer during all seasons.
That's why some believe if you can shoot a deer in NH, you can shoot a deer anywhere.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:26 AM
Typical Buck

Default Pennsylvania

Hard to tell how successful hunters are. The Game Commission just shuffles the numbers around. There is only a "guessstimate" at best in this state.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:30 AM
Typical Buck

Jimmy S,

I grew up in NH. I hunted from age 15-25 and never saw a deer (while hunting) never mind shot one. I moved to NC and pass on 15-20 deer a year and shoot on average 3 a year.

I agree - Hunting NH can be tough.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:41 AM
Fork Horn

South Carolina DNR quote:

"Hunting Success
For determination of hunting success only those individuals that actually hunted deer
were included in the analysis and similarly, success was defined as harvesting at least one deer.
Overall hunting success in 2008 was 71.9 percent, which should be considered extraordinary."

I don't know how accurate this is since you don't have to register the deer shot on private land and the results were based on a "survey" of hunters.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:15 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by A11en
Jimmy S,

I grew up in NH. I hunted from age 15-25 and never saw a deer (while hunting) never mind shot one. I moved to NC and pass on 15-20 deer a year and shoot on average 3 a year.

I agree - Hunting NH can be tough.
I'm looking into north easter NC near Ahoskie. Can you tell me anything about that area?
Old 08-02-2010, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am more or less echoing "Timbercruiser"'s expereince.

I hunt in SE Alabama. Have for decades. The group I hunt with has 3150 acres +/-. I also have 440 acres that I hunt just south of Montgomery. Personally I ahve been 100% on both does and a decent buck on each of these places now for decades. There are tons of deer where I hunt so this is no big deal. About every 2-4 years I luck into a really nice buck.

I would guess that in the course of a season probably 30 different folks hunt the 3150 acre place. Based upon a SWAG, I'd say for the past 8 years I have hunted this property, gun hunting - 2 full days=100% shot on a doe and proably 5 full days = 50% chance at a shot on a decent 8 pt. (4x4) buck. Archery only - probably 2X that much time would give the same result. Statewide ? I have no clue.