Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

.223 is enough for whitetail

Old 07-30-2010, 02:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess RC Cola bottles will do the job also
RC Cola bottles are made out of plastic now. They no longer have the weight or sectional density for a clean kill on deer-size game.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:55 AM
Typical Buck

Fill it full of mento's and you might have something. LOL
Old 07-30-2010, 07:48 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Coach,

"but what really is your point?"

My point is your reply to the right tool for the right job/one shot one kill.

"......a wrench could be an easier way to bang in a small nail rather than make a trip to the work bench......"

I don't shoot at deer with my .17HMR because I happen to have it in my hands.

BTW - I said coach because of your "handle" - sorry !!!

I'm from NJ, so I wouldn't want to give Jerseyites a bad name.

Also, I have had to take follow-up shots and/or finish an animal just like anyone else, but not because I didn't have the right gun with the right load for the game I was persueing at the time.

And I would not want to "coach" anyone to do otherwise.
Okay thanks for clearing that up, and sorry if I got a little snippy. Sometimes I get a little intense on an issue, but I do respect your opinion and the opinions of others. I guess I just like a little extra wood on the fire now and then becuase it makes forums a little more interesting. Thanks again!
Old 08-07-2010, 06:58 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by vermont bowhunter
if i was lost and all i had was 223 or bow at 40 yrds ,,come on get real,,,some of these coments border on stupidity
Well, which would you pick? Its a real pickle isn't it? If you say the bow, I am either going to call you a liar or a poor rifle shot. If you say the 223, your saying the bow isn't ethical enough to use on deer.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:39 PM
Spike

I'd guess some would say it's a hunters preference, others would argue otherwise. IMO the 223 is a varmint round and has no business being used for deer hunting. Sure it can get the job done, and can reach out and touch someone...but it's not the right tool for the job. Maybe it's a geography thing, but from what I've seen it's been the 30-30 or the 30-06. The knockdown power from these rifles puts them down now.

Heck, you're just lucky you can use a rifle. Many of us are out there strapped with the 12 gauge!
Old 08-10-2010, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by PoorHunter99
I'd guess some would say it's a hunters preference, others would argue otherwise. IMO the 223 is a varmint round and has no business being used for deer hunting. Sure it can get the job done, and can reach out and touch someone...but it's not the right tool for the job. Maybe it's a geography thing, but from what I've seen it's been the 30-30 or the 30-06. The knockdown power from these rifles puts them down now.

Heck, you're just lucky you can use a rifle. Many of us are out there strapped with the 12 gauge!

certainly if i were in ohio, i would be usin either of those as well...but the dog dear here drop in their tracks with a 223, and the 30-06 puts too big of a hole...in my, and my buddy with the 30-06's opinion..this year i will take a few pics, as he hasnt got a smaller cal yet, he bought a bow instead.