Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Asking Permission

Old 07-24-2010, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Asking Permission

I really only have access to public lands, which I would prefer not to hunt because they get crowded, dogs are run, and I think the deer are much less predictable and less likely to settle into more patterned behavior.

I'm going to start scouring Google maps for nearby land that has desirous topographical features. Once I narrow it down to a few, I want to ask permission of the landowners to hunt there.

What do you think the best way to go about this is? I was thinking of drafting a nice letter, explaining why I am asking permission and that I am a responsible and respectful hunter, and maybe even enclosing a picture of myself with my family.

Those of you who have asked, what has been your approach and how has it worked out for you? For those of you who have BEEN asked, what have your feelings been about the proposals, and how did you actually respond?
Old 07-24-2010, 09:39 AM
Typical Buck

There was a thread on here several months ago dealing with this subject. Check it out: BEST WAY TO ASK FOR PERMISSION

The key is RESPECT. If they say no, respect that. If they say yes, show your respect for them and their property. Offer them some of your kills. Offer your services around their farm/house/etc.

rw
Old 07-24-2010, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

First is to forget the letter. You need to go for a face to face meeting with them. Introduce yourself and then explain the reason for the visit. After you start talking with them, let them know if its just you, maybe your kids who will be hunting. Respect is the key. If you get permisson, ask them what they may like for a show of appreciation. Mine love deer and turkey but they hate to hunt. So that plus maybe a case of cold ones and absolutely NO damage to their property. If you don't get permission, Thank them for their time and ask them if there is a chance that they may change their mind to give you a call. And if you're ever out driving around the area and see them out, stop again and ask. Could always catch someone on a bad day the 1st time.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree that face to face is definitely the best approach. Most folks will be more likely to let you hunt their land if you introduce yourself with a firm handshake and respect. Explain to them your philosophy on hunting and that you won't disrespect their property. Be willing to abide by any rules they may have.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:17 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SWThomas
I agree that face to face is definitely the best approach. Most folks will be more likely to let you hunt their land if you introduce yourself with a firm handshake and respect. Explain to them your philosophy on hunting and that you won't disrespect their property. Be willing to abide by any rules they may have.
I agree as a farmer and land owner. Be REAL, and be honest. Just chat as if I were an old friend. Tell me who will be hunting with you and NEVER bring any one along that I don't know about. I personally don't like any groups hunting under your name. If they want to hunt, let them ask me. Respect my property, and always close gates behind you.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:40 PM
Typical Buck

I have tried to get access to a specific property for 6 staright years and was always denied. This year the landowner had a pest problem and none of his non hunting neighbors had a solution so I got a call asking for help. I took care of the problem and now have access to archery hunt that sweet piece of whitetail sanctuary heaven. I only hunt private land for deer and when I take a deer from that land I make sausage, jerky, smokey sticks, sweet bologna, etc, and I always give some to the landowner. I also clean up any trash I see on those lands leaving it better than it was before I was allowed to hunt it.
Dress respectable like you were going to church, taking a kid with and explain to the landowner you are trying to share and build an appreciation for wildlife in that child and you are looking for a safer place than public lands for the child to experience the outdoors and spend less time on video games. Most people who have children will understand that point. Not saying just use your kid to get what you want!!!
Also ask if the landowner is having problems with skunks, coons, rabbits,groundhogs, etc. in their garden and offer to relocate those animals with havahart traps if legal. Draw up an agreement for the landowner waiving your right to sue for any damages to your person or property and list your phone #, vehicle description and plate # if the conversation leads to getting permission. Leave a blank line for the landowners name in the agreement and both sign and date at the bottom. it's good to have a copy showing you have permission for yourself. I carry duplicate forms in my truck at all times for any time I get permission to hunt private property, it's better than having to go back and bother them a second time.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

What State are You located in 7.62Nato?
Old 07-25-2010, 06:41 AM
Spike

Default respect..

Like most of these other guys said, the key is respect. I am a 19 year old kid. So it would be harder for me to get on hunting land, but I do. tell him/her exactly what you are going out to shoot. dont leave any trash, and if its a farm always ask to help with the farm ex. cattle, chickens, etc. and most likely if the owner does not hunt and has a farm he/she will not mind. they eat a lot of the crops. if there isnt a farm then just ask to help out. perhaps mow the yard. and always ask if they would want any of the meat. and if worst comes and you really have to hunt that property, you could always ask him/her to rent for hunting. like 50 for a month or something along that line
Old 07-25-2010, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cool, thanks for the tips. After reading your posts, I definitely think an in-person request is best.

Anyone interested in scouring Google maps to help me pick out a spot? I have an idea of what makes ideal hunting ground, but this is just going to be my 3rd season at it, so I still take all the advice I can get. If anyone's interested, just open Google maps and type 23112 (my zip code) and it will drop a pin pretty close to where I live. Look just west of there and it starts to turn rural very quickly.