Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Stoping Deer

Old 07-20-2010, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Question Stoping Deer

Where I hunt the Deer are most often seen while on their way to bed down in the morning,this means I must get them to stop for a shot with my Bow from my stand. Most hunters seem to make a noise to get them to stop for a broadside shot.If the Deer do not pause for a shot and are quartering away from me is it advisable to take the shot while they are moving or should I pass? Also I saw a hunting video where a Bass Pro hunter said you should not make a noise to get the deer to stop and give away your position. What's your thought on this fellow hunters?
Old 07-20-2010, 07:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have been successful doing two things...

One, put out scent where you want them to stop...You have to be careful as this sometime backfires and they go the other way...Early season, I like Hunter's Gold or nonestrus doe pee...During the rut, Tinks 69, Code Blue or Trails End 209 work well around here...

Two, make a soft grunt with your mouth...It must be loud enough for them to hear but soft enough so it doesn't spook them...

I don't take shots with a bow on a moving deer, in fact, with a bow I try to talk myself out of taking a shot...Unless everything is perfect, I pass...
Old 07-20-2010, 07:18 AM
Spike

There are so many variables, that each situation calls for a different coarse of action. If a deer is walking slow at a close distance, I would not make a noise and take a shot when it is broadside. But I have lots of luck making noise if they are 30 yards or farther away. Make sure you are at full draw with your bow when you make a noise.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:47 AM
Typical Buck

I use vanilla extract to stop some deer the other I draw and give a soft grunt and shoot when they stop.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't mind at all taking a walking shot on a deer if he's close, like around 6-15 yards away. I also use to have my bows unbelievably quiet too, which helps in reducing any neg reactions to the sound. Today I'm not sure if I'd take a moving shot or not, but back in the day I had my motto of "If it's brown, it's down". LOL!

Most often I never make a noise. If I'm rifle hunting and a shooter is walking at a far away distance or is having their head down too long, I'll just whistle to get them to stop or prop their head up. Make the whistle just loud enough that they should hear it, but not be alarmed that they think it came from 20 yards away!

I also grunt with my mouth when bowhunting or deer is close enough to hear it. Whatever I do, I try not to make the noise something that will alarm them to the point where they start to tense up. I want them to stop so they can investigate what they heard, not to get ready to run to the next county!

If I'm bowhunting on a trail that I suspect walking deer to come by that won't be stopping, the BEST thing I've done is to make a mock scrape. Make it very visible and applying lure or urine to it will help too. Matter of fact, having nothing in it will work as well because it's the visual part of them that works wonders. Whether they stop for the odor of the lure/urine or fresh dirt, they stop regardless. When using lure to stop them for a shot, don't add too much or it will alarm them. I've seen deer hit a scent stream, stop and run off a few yards!

As for the video Bass Pro hunter(LOL!), he's right(partially), but that depends on the scenario. You have to use common sense on when, how and how loud to make the sound. Experience will show you how. I use to mess with deer many many times while I was in my treestand. I use to make all sorts of noises to see their reaction. I experimented with metal sounds, mouth whistling, branch breaking, grunt calls and MOVEMENT! Yeah, movement. You'd be surprised to experiment by making a movement to get their attention, then as they stop to stare harder, you freeze like a statue. It'll teach you quick about camouflaging yourself, proper backdrop & covering along with the quantity and speed of your movements.

iSnipe
Old 07-20-2010, 09:54 AM
Typical Buck

the good ol' mouth bleat. if that dosnt work i make it a little louder then if that doesnt work a wistle will ussually work-just like trying to get somebodys attn without talking a little whoo hoo
Old 07-21-2010, 03:40 AM
Typical Buck

It depends on the body langauge of the deer, that really is the deciding factor for me. Usally if I'm able to come to full draw, the target deer is not on alert and will not spoke if I grunt softly to get it to stop. If the deer is tense and on alert and you make a noise 99 out 100 times they will bolt, least from my experiance.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with outhers about the fact that there are many variables to contend with. In bow hunting, because the deer must be so close to be in range .... 40 +/- yards or less, in my opinion to make or not make a "stopping" noise depends mostly upon how alert the deer seem to me to be. I don't even consider stopping a deer when I am rifle hunting unless the cover is tight and I need the deer to stop in a specific clear area.

If the deer is showing signs of bein on "alert" or if another in the group is, I stay silent and hope for the best. If the deer seems relaxed, I usually wistle softly. Just enough to get the deer's attention. Has worked every time ... so far.

As far as quartered away, walking shots .... if the deer is moving slowly and in range and I have a clean path to the vitals, this is one of my favorite shot angles. I aim so that the arrow will exit (if it does at all) near the off side shoulder. This angle will put the broadhead through the heart/lungs area. If you are hunting from a tree stand, don't be surprised if the blood trail is weak. Even if the arrow exits, often times the low side hole will plug with tissue and weaken the blood trail. However if this shot is made well, the deer will not go far and should not be difficult to recover. .
Old 07-21-2010, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

I try to put my corn or a salt lick right where I can get a good shot. I try to make it so when the deer are coming up to it they are behind brush so I can see them but they dont see me. I also might put my pile where the deer has to stick there head behind a bush or a big stump. that leaves there body open but there head is completely covered so as to cover there eyesight. it works as long as they put there head right, but even if they dont its still the same as taking a shot on a deer just walkin.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:07 PM
Typical Buck

I wouldn't take a moving shot. I would try to bleat or grunt to get them to stop or put out a tinks scent bomb. Works great =]

BigBuck95

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.