Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Slugs

Old 07-23-2010, 03:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default Slugs

Hey Guys
I just had to sell my Savage 30-06 Rifle, fishing stuff etc.. to pay for a down payment on a $4800 surgery for my 4year old dog, she is black lab/Basset hound. So now I am going to buy a rifled slug/scope combo for my 12 gauge, which shoots up tp 3 1/2" shells. My question is what slugs will give me the best range and Knockdown power? Also if you would like to make a donation (any dollar amount is appreciated ) click on link below or pass on link to friends or whoever, any help is appreciated and thank you. This is not a scam, on the website you can read about her, see pictures and there is directions to make donations directly to Vet office. Thanks to all who respond to question.

http://bauersbacksurgery.chipin.com/bauers-back-surgery

Last edited by croc2116; 07-23-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lightfields
Old 07-23-2010, 04:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

With the limited amount of info there is no clear cut answer to your question. And even if you had listed a specific gun, barrel, shell size, intended range, name, age, hair color, and birthdate there would still be no definative answer.

I think this has been posted here a trillion gazillion times: Each gun, regardless of same specs will tend to have it's own personal preferences that it will deliver the best accuracy with.

THAT BEING SAID..........

I would start out with a few types of some of the lower priced slugs in 2-3/4". You may find something that is plenty accurate. You may work your way up to much more expensive ammo and get same, better or less impressive results but money is not a determining factor in overall average accuracy.

Keep in mind in you find a slug that can deliver acceptable accuracy and you do your part to make good shots to the vitals I don't think there is a slug out there that won't do it's part to complete the kill.

Just as an example, I don't think you find slugs much less expensive than loads like 2-3/4" Remington Sluggersor Brenneke KOs. If you tag a deer in the heart or lungs at 75 - 100 yards it is going to die.

Have fun experimenting. I wish you good luck and good hunting.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

You must really, really love that dog. Good luck.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:05 PM
Fork Horn

I have a Mossberg 935 done up for slugs.
I have shot 2 3/4" to 3 1/2".
I settled for 3" Remington accu tips.
But, I also have a Remington 870 20gauge set up for slugs.
It shots just as far ( but flatter ) still giving great knock down.
It's also a lot lighter to carry.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can't beat the 20ga. perfect for deer
Old 07-24-2010, 05:04 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah my dog kept me sane when I lived alone in the mountains of NC 30 minutes from a store. I owe her a lot.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:54 AM
Fork Horn

I hope all goes well for your dog. I'd give but I'm in a position right now where I need somebody to give to me as well. Sorry.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:26 AM
Typical Buck

Default Agreed!!!

Originally Posted by BOWHUNTERCOP
You can't beat the 20ga. perfect for deer
I shoot the Federal Barnes Expandable!
Old 07-26-2010, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Absolutely agree with what Uncle Matt said. I heard tons of good things about Lightfields and was stoked to try them when I got my slug gun last season. My gun hates those things. We're talking 5-6 MOA. Hated Federal Fusion too. Didn't mind Hornady so much (but I read reviews of poor terminal performance) and, after several other brands, found my gun LOVED the Remington Premier Accutips (2 3/4"). Like 1.5 MOA loved them, with irons.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.