Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
When do antlers stop growing for the year? >

When do antlers stop growing for the year?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

When do antlers stop growing for the year?

Old 07-10-2010, 08:22 AM
Spike

Default When do antlers stop growing for the year?

i live in NY. i always thought they stopped about this time of year (mid-late july) but i have noticed something strange. there is one deer in velvet that i have seen on my property with a great symmetrical 8 point rack. there is another deer with 2 thick bases and just starting to fork out at the top. i would guess that it would keep growing but i feel it is getting late in the year for that. i know antler growth is based on nutrition and genetics but these 2 deer appear to be very far apart in their growth. anybody knowledgeable on this topic care to shed some light on the situation or maybe some other ideas. thanks!!
Old 07-10-2010, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

mid to late August they stop growing, then they start to harded, velvet starts to dry, get itchy, the bucks shed the velvet early September
Old 07-10-2010, 10:01 AM
Fork Horn

still though, the one that's just started to fork, will his antlers grow as much as they should it seems it's getting kinda late in the growing season. i'm interested myself.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:21 PM
Typical Buck

they will grow till the end of august , then the blood supply will shut down to the antlers ,they will harden and the buck will remove the velvet by scrapping a bush ,i have even seen them eat the velvet that fell of the antlers ..
Old 07-10-2010, 06:39 PM
Typical Buck

I agree they stop in mid to late august. Then shed the velvet and that buck you had pics of during the day all summer long becomes a different animal and starts coming in later or first thing in the morning by late Sept. or early Oct. Almost like they use that as an alarm to let them know they will soon be getting shot at.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

they will keep growing as long as it has blood supply. then when he is wearing the velvet off there is no more growth
Old 07-11-2010, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

if their in velvet their still growing. i have seen them in velvet well into September...almost November here in the South
Old 07-12-2010, 04:31 PM
Typical Buck

Here in the MidWest they have pretty much grown as much beam as there going to get. For the next month or so, they will grow more mass and longer points. Maybe a little in beam length but not much
Old 07-12-2010, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

If they dont got it by August 1st they aint gettin it. Pike