Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shooting Sticks

Old 07-09-2010, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Question Shooting Sticks

Does anybody use a shooting stick from your tree stand? If so what kind if not why not? My first season with my Muzzle Loader trying to decide if it is necessary,helpful or just going to get in the way.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:15 AM
Fork Horn

I don't think bow shooting sticks have been invented yet so ill say no

gun rails are better and definitaly necesary

Last edited by _zink_; 07-09-2010 at 07:18 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:53 PM
Typical Buck

I bought one of the cheapo monopods from Wally World last year during gun season and it's definitely a plus. I figured out immediately though that the pointy end of it (that's supposed to stick in the ground) falls right through the grate on my Ol' Man! A wad of camo duct tape on the end of it solved that. It's a pain to lug around with everything else, but it may mean the difference between making that long shot and having to let a deer walk because of having nothing to steady your gun with.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:07 PM
Typical Buck

I practice shooting from the seated position with my elbows on my knee but anything that helps steady you for a shot and makes you feel more confident is good.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:44 PM
Typical Buck

Exclamation

Personaly I think that if you need a shooting stick to make a good shot, you shouldint be hunting.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:00 PM
Typical Buck

I think thats a ridiculous statement. On what grounds? What positions do you shoot from?
Old 07-09-2010, 04:09 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by genesis27:3
Personaly I think that if you need a shooting stick to make a good shot, you shouldint be hunting.
That's the most idiotic think I've heard in a long time. When you go to the range, do you take all of your shots off-hand? How about if you're making a long range shot on an animal? Shooting sticks are tool to give someone a steady rest and make a cleaner and more ethical shot, same as a backpack or a well positioned log.

I think for a treestand, shooting sticks would be more of a hinderance; stick with a shooting rail. If you don't have one on your treestand, you can buy strap on shooting rails. I've got one for one of my ladder stands and it works very good. Check it out:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...233&hasJS=true
Old 07-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Typical Buck

Im waiting on him to say he shoots game prone or braced against a tree/ rock so I can turn his logic around on him.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Exclamation

Originally Posted by genesis27:3

Originally Posted by podunk kennels

I think thats a ridiculous statement.
Originally Posted by MO-KS_hunter

That's the most idiotic think I've heard in a long time.
x3 on those following statements.

genesis27:3,

I think besides grabbing your weapons, bow and quiver, you should grab your Book of Common Sense and give it a read over once more. That statement there is not one of your better quotes.

I use shooting sticks or a solid rest whenever I can. I take killing a deer very seriously and using a rest makes me exponentially a better shot.

If you can't understand that, you should reconsider your thoughts, because right now they're not registering with me on that quote. LOL!

iSnipe
Old 07-11-2010, 09:58 PM
Fork Horn

I don't really like mine all that much. I have one, but as mentioned it's a pain to lug around. Plus, I find while it's more stable than free hand, I'm a lot better off and can hold the gun a lot more stable if I can find a tree to lean up against. If I have time to move enough to set up that stick, I can usually find something to lean up against to take the shot. In reality, I bought mine at Wal Mart because it looked cool. However, other than seeing if I could hold the gun still on it at the house I've never used it all. BTW if anyone wants one pm me and maybe we can work something out on the one I have as I really don't need it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.