Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

We've all had it happen...

Old 07-26-2010, 04:18 PM
Typical Buck

Everyone knows head shot shooters are going to hell.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:29 PM
Typical Buck

I used to do land clearing. Clearing out thickets in January/February after deer season pretty soon shows you a lot of body shot deer laying around. Never found one with its face shot off. You talk about belaboring a point. I have heard that story for years, about the deer missing a jaw. Every single person I asked said they heard it from a reliable source. If you are a lousy shot, than don't take difficult shots. You sound like you have an easy place to hunt. Nice for you. I shot deer peeking over logs, looking through the crotch of a tree, looking around trees, and who knows what else. We hunt legal, we hunt hard. I have been hunting longer than you and if I had to I could not even give you a rough estimate of the deer I killed. I used to hunt 3 states so they add up pretty fast. I am really not impressed by self appointed "experts" that brag about shooting over 100 deer.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

TODD - Good to know your ethics are flexible. Don't use the "it's called hunting, not killing" cliche on me, and don't infer that you know how to make me a happier hunter. The cliche applies to those who just want to go in and kill something for the sake of killing. You know the type, so don't be an ass. Hunting is killing for a PURPOSE, and each hunter gets to define their own purpose for going out into the woods.

Apparently you're having a little trouble reading English. I said, "Because I'm sure you won't agree that legal = ethical." It implies that the LAW doesn't define our moral compass, and that I'm sure you'd agree with that. You brought the law into it by talking about what calibers are legal, which I'm saying is irrelevant with respect to the subject. Generally, you have poachers using .22LRs to avoid a large muzzle blast.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am really not impressed by self appointed "experts" that brag about shooting over 100 deer.

Just as I am unimpressed with self appointed 3 state experts that brag that they cannot give a rough estimate of how many deer they have killed. LOL~!!~ Pot meet Kettle. Kettle Mr Pot. LOL!

If you are a lousy shot, than don't take difficult shots.

I shoot very, very well. But this is not an issue of skill. It's just a stupid unnecessary place to aim at a deer. Again, no one here has given me one reason to do it that holds any water. The it doesn't ruin meat thing is BS. A shot behind the shoulder ruins nothing. The odds of "Only" seeing a deer's head and nothing else is pretty slim.

If you aren't a skilled enough hunter to get in position to take a good shot on a deer odds are you shouldn't be taking head shots either . Nor do I believe that any of you are so desparate for deer meat that you have to risk these shots on the "RARE" occasion that it is the only one presented either. If you are that hard up for meals, post your mail address and I'll send you a big box of food overnight express and encourage all my friends to do the same. Hate to see people starve when I've got plenty of can goods around.

Why is it my business? Because children read these boards too and advocating head shots is pretty terrible advice for them to see IMHO.

Never found one with its face shot off.

I've never found one dead from blue tongue or CWD either. Guess by your logic, since I've never personally seen those things they must not exist either. However I'm sure there are not a lot of deer found dead in the woods with their jaws shot off each year. Why? Because thank God the vast, vast, majority of hunters in this country aren't yahoo goobers that like to aim for the head just cause they think it's cool to see brain matter spray in the air.

Don't use the "it's called hunting, not killing" cliche on me,

I'll use any cliché I like. Thank you very much.

You brought the law into it by talking about what calibers are legal, which I'm saying is irrelevant with respect to the subject. Generally, you have poachers using .22LRs to avoid a large muzzle blast.

No, I think you are the one having trouble with English. I brought up legal calibers to rule out one other possible excuse for taking head shots. That being "using a gun not powerful enough to take body shots". That possible reason is rendered mute by the fact that such low powered rounds are almost universally illegal to use on deer anyway. Understand? Probably not.

Last edited by Todd1700; 07-27-2010 at 06:37 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:56 AM
Typical Buck

You are correct, I did not give you a valid reason to take head shots on deer. I gave you valid reasons we take head shots on deer. It is obvious your experience with hunting coal region deer is very limited. If you don't want to take head shots fine with me, but don't try to tell more experienced hunters how to kill deer. When you start out an argument with "I am 44 years old and I killed over 100 deer" like it is some kind of degree in deer hunting it shows what a goofball you are. Big deal, I have been hunting for over 44 years. I can assure you that any guest speaker at our Gun Club that started out with a statement like that would not be invited back. Kids don't need attitude hunters to listen to, they get enough of that on T.V. Shoot your deer in the lungs and then go hang out in the Walmart parking lot and tell everybody how to shoot their deer.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

. Shoot your deer in the lungs and then go hang out in the Walmart parking lot and tell everybody how to shoot their deer.

What an ignorant thing to say. But then when I consider the source it's not surprising. Ever considered the safety issue of advocating taking head shots, "because it's all you can see over a log, through a bush or in the crotch of a tree?" More than one hunter has been killed by some idiot that thought he was shooting at a "part" of a deer he saw through the brush.

I can assure you that any guest speaker at our Gun Club that started out with a statement like that would not be invited back.

You have to listen to speakers at a gun club to learn something. LOL! That's funny.

How do the speakers at your club start off their speeches? After they spit out the tobacco of course. Do they cover topics like, "Spray and Pray the Coal Country Way". Or "Just Shoot No Matter What, Consequences Be D@#ned". Or maybe "What to do When the Two Eyes You Shot at Turns out to Be Cousin Fred". LOL!!

Man you are a laugh riot.

Oh and you spelled Wal Mart wrong. Two words not one. Do I need to send a guest speaker to speak at your gun club about Wal Mart? I'll tell him not to start his speech with the phrase, "I've shopped in over 100 Wal Marts." LOL!!

Last edited by Todd1700; 07-27-2010 at 08:20 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:37 AM
Typical Buck

It did not take long for you to get to the level that you were poking a stick at when you started posting. If I were you I would shut up about being "Safety minded". Anything can happen to anybody quick enough, and usually to the people that are always being safe. Offhand, I can think of one hunting safety instructor that had a bad experience. As for not being able to spell WalMart, I am proud of the fact that I have not been there enough times to be able to spell it correctly!
Old 07-27-2010, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

LOL, Todd shows his true douche baggy colors in criticizing another poster's spelling of Walmart. Dude, you could have a FIELD DAY criticizing spelling and grammar on THIS site, LOL!!

^^^^^^^^^^
NOT an endorsement.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

As for not being able to spell WalMart, I am proud of the fact that I have not been there enough times to be able to spell it correctly!
Hey, a lot of folks like you can only afford to shop at Cheaper Than Dirt or Freds. Don't be ashamed of that man.

Anything can happen to anybody quick enough, and usually to the people that are always being safe.
Hmmm, so according to you the people who have hunting accidents and or accidentally shoot people the most often are the ones trying hardest to be safe.

I guess that could make sense........that is, if we were in an alternate universe where our words meant the exact opposite of what we say. Otherwise that is quite possible the dumbest thing I have ever seen posted on a public forum.

Last edited by Todd1700; 07-30-2010 at 06:05 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey I went on Line and pulled up the scheduled speakers at Gunplumbers gun club. And I have to admit there are a few interesting ones coming up. Next month it's.....

"Ooops, That's not a Deer."
"When Bush Shots Go Bad" by Dr Tad Triggerhappy.

Followed up a month later by

"Accident my @$$"
"How to Tell a Honest Mistake from an Intentional Fragging"
By Mrs. Doretta Freeburger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.