Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

We've all had it happen...

Old 07-09-2010, 01:01 AM
Typical Buck

All I can say is I never in 50 years lost a deer or shot another by accident. I never shoot over 75 yards. Most my shots are taken within 50 yards. See the skill is getting that CLOSE to the animal not taking long distance chance shots across the state and wasting a animal. And I hunted in Texas, infact lived and owned property near Freer Tx, Duval county in the 80s. But since I am well into my 60s and hunt in WV I lowered thar distance to 35 to 50 yards with a 10 guage slugger. Wasting a animal is such a shame. Infact in some states accidently shooting the wrong deer can be a violation if the state has antler restriction size and deer is to small or ends up being a doe. Always know your target and that includes what is behind the target. That could of been another hunter in the brush behind that deer.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:24 AM
Typical Buck

Default 100 yard headshot?

I don't see anything wrong with taking a shot like that, except I would not have shot at the head turned sideways. I have shot a few just like that, moving up slopes, and the worst that has happened is I hit one right between the shoulders. He was chasing a doe up a hill and it is really hard to lead a deer trotting up or down a hill straight away from you. Most I hit at the base of the skull, or through the neck. If I have something handy to use as a steady rest(Log,Stump, Rock,ect.) 100 yards is nothing to worry about. I don't know what a "sidewalk cowboy" is either, but I bet it is those guys at the range that say they would never shoot at a moving deer. If I never shot at a moving deer, I probably would never bring one home.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:40 AM
Spike

Try reading the post (and comprehending it) before replying. He clearly said the bullet ricocheted (sp?), which no hunter can control. It had nothing to do with what was in the background. Ricochets can go sideways or right back at you if it hits at the right angle.

Secondly, if you're taking a head shot, why would it matter if it was walking away or broadside? Wouldn't it only matter which way the deer was looking, since you're not aiming at the body anyway?
Old 07-09-2010, 02:06 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Gunplummer
I don't see anything wrong with taking a shot like that, except I would not have shot at the head turned sideways. I have shot a few just like that, moving up slopes, and the worst that has happened is I hit one right between the shoulders. He was chasing a doe up a hill and it is really hard to lead a deer trotting up or down a hill straight away from you. Most I hit at the base of the skull, or through the neck. If I have something handy to use as a steady rest(Log,Stump, Rock,ect.) 100 yards is nothing to worry about. I don't know what a "sidewalk cowboy" is either, but I bet it is those guys at the range that say they would never shoot at a moving deer. If I never shot at a moving deer, I probably would never bring one home.
In the Podunk Dictionary a " Sidewalk Cowboy" is one who speaks without full kn owledge or comprehension of the situation which hes speaking about. Much like an " Armchair Quarterback" just to clear up any disputes. I tottally agree with you plummer, if youre confident you can make the shot then take it.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:50 PM
Spike

There should never be a "head shot" taken EVER. IMO. Plain and simple. I've taken deer from as close as 12 yards and I still wait for the broadside vital shot.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:56 PM
Typical Buck

Thank you for condemning other hunters Whitetailmadness. Do head shot advocates tell you that shooting a broadside deer in the vitals is wrong?
Old 07-10-2010, 11:39 AM
Typical Buck

Default Whitetail madness

Ha,Ha,Ha. We are talking about guns here, not bows.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:33 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Whitetailmadness
There should never be a "head shot" taken EVER. IMO. Plain and simple. I've taken deer from as close as 12 yards and I still wait for the broadside vital shot.
+1 the making of a good hunter ,may i say RESPECTFULL
Old 07-10-2010, 02:37 PM
Typical Buck

As opposed to us bad hunters who kill game cleanly in their tracks I suppose.... Terrible that some people feel more noble than others for no reason whatsoever.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont think everyone means ya'll "Head Shooter's" are bad hunter's..I think they are just saying In their opinion you should wait for the easier broadside shot.. ... I think if you have the skill to do a headshot feel free cause where in the head/high neck area are you going to wound a deer...their might be a way but IDK where that spot is?...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.