Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

We've all had it happen...

Old 07-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by podunk kennels
Thank you for condemning other hunters Whitetailmadness. Do head shot advocates tell you that shooting a broadside deer in the vitals is wrong?
how would a broadside shot be wrong bud..serously how?its vital's unless you gut shoot the deer...more of a kill zone broadside as I said above though if you got the skill to shoot a deer in the head more power to ya
Old 07-10-2010, 04:00 PM
Typical Buck

Kuk, I didnt say that I thought broad side shots were wrong. I personally favor THE FIRST SHOT IM CONFIDENT IN. Be it broadside or head shot or azz end spine shot if I wanna kill one that bad. My point was that we shouldnt condemn other hunters way of doing things just because we dont practice it or understand it.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kuk, I didnt say that I thought broad side shots were wrong. I personally favor THE FIRST SHOT IM CONFIDENT IN. Be it broadside or head shot or azz end spine shot if I wanna kill one that bad. My point was that we shouldnt condemn other hunters way of doing things just because we dont practice it or understand it.
Oh sorry I miss read your first thing I gotta bad habit of readen once and replyen
Old 07-10-2010, 05:39 PM
Typical Buck

Its ok bud, we all jump the gun from time to time. Especially on heated topics like this one.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah these topics have away of bringn out the demon in people lol
Old 07-10-2010, 06:16 PM
Typical Buck

Sure do, the point is that we are all hunters and have the same goals in mind. Not a one of us is any better than another and what works for some wont work for all. I say hunt however youd like just so long as you do.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

As opposed to us bad hunters who kill game cleanly in their tracks I suppose.... Terrible that some people feel more noble than others for no reason whatsoever.
Well, a well placed shot by us "good hunters" on or behind the shoulder will certainly drop them cleanly in their tracks just about every time. Regardless of where you hit your deer, all hunters are responsible to make a clean ethical shot. Just make sure you are confident with your shot. I just don't think the particular shot the original poster took was a good one. Obviously it wasn't. It ended up with disasterous results, a mortally wounded deer that wasn't recovered because of a risky shot. In this particular situation, a head shot was not a good idea. Note, I said in this situation, so don't blow this out of proportion.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:29 PM
Typical Buck

Have you ever shot a big game animal in the head or neck personally?
Old 07-10-2010, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have you ever shot a big game animal in the head or neck personally?
Yes, I have killed a few deer with neck shots, but they were all within 50 or 60 yards standing still, not a moving target walking away at 115 yards. I have also killed deer running, but they were also close, and the shots were placed in the lung or sholder area. I have never taken a head shot. Could I make a 100 plus yard head shot? Yes, but I choose not to risk a shot like that.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:48 PM
Typical Buck

Well worded sir, you said exactly what I hoped you would. You CHOOSE not too. This does not make it right or wrong, merely your choice. Davoh's plan wasnt poor it simply suffered from poor execution. Many shooters can and do make shots like that all the time. Just remember what works for some will never work for all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.