Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I may get flamed for this...

Old 08-18-2010, 08:05 AM
bigcountry

So if I have a pig on my farm that is shy and I chase him around the farm for weeks, it would be simular?

So whats the difference? That they get the deer in trailcams and chase them around?

I honestly have no issues with someone hunting "farm animals". If you really feel proud, and actually are not ashamed to take pictures with this animals and satisfied, go for it. I even don't have issues with a person mounting a horse head prize rooster or whatever farm aminal they kill.

I do have an issue with me doing it or someone trying to convince me that, that is what hunting is all about. I do have an issue with someone trying to convince me that TX naturally has these awesome deer genes. I have in my hand a complete catalog of deer you can purchase and even stud fees to put on your property and manage it from TX. This practice is not uncommon in TX.

I even don't have issues with those TX ranches doing that. Just please don't try to convince me that that is what hunting is all about.

Originally Posted by ipscshooter
It should be noted that those Tecomate guys don't have high fences, and manage their property to attract and hold deer. They study the deer on their property year round, both in the field and using trailcams, and may end up hunting a particular buck for weeks. It's not like they tie them to a tree, hand feed them, and then shoot em when the walk up to eat out of their hand... I don't think it's a serious problem that they have great property, in a great location, with a lot of deer, and that their hunting practices allow the bucks on their property to reach 5, or 6, or 7 years old before they're shot. It may not be how you hunt, but, what exactly is the problem? Does everyone have to have an "if it's brown, it's down" philosophy? What's wrong with allowing the bucks on your property to mature? What's wrong with using food plots? How are food plots different than hunting corn and soybean fields in the Midwest?

Last edited by bigcountry; 08-18-2010 at 08:09 AM.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:07 AM
Spike

i smell jealousy....

i'm willing to bet that if most of the people making childish remarks on here about Lee and Tiffany had the resources they do that they would plant the same big food plots and manage they're farm the same exact way.

but it all comes down to a choice. you don't like a t.v. show than don't watch it.

why go on an internet forum and bitch and complain about what they do or how they act? little bored....? kinda reminds of being back in high school....
Old 08-18-2010, 09:22 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by deerhuntinfool
i smell jealousy....

i'm willing to bet that if most of the people making childish remarks on here about Lee and Tiffany had the resources they do that they would plant the same big food plots and manage they're farm the same exact way.

but it all comes down to a choice. you don't like a t.v. show than don't watch it.

why go on an internet forum and bitch and complain about what they do or how they act? little bored....? kinda reminds of being back in high school....
You would lose that bet. Its not alway about bragging rights and making sure you have a picture of a poser and big rack. That reminds me of being back in high school.

I mean why go on the internet like you have and complain about what others think? little bored? kinda reminds me of being back in high school

Old 08-18-2010, 09:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bigcountry
So if I have a pig on my farm that is shy and I chase him around the farm for weeks, it would be simular?

So whats the difference? That they get the deer in trailcams and chase them around?

I honestly have no issues with someone hunting "farm animals". If you really feel proud, and actually are not ashamed to take pictures with this animals and satisfied, go for it. I even don't have issues with a person mounting a horse head prize rooster or whatever farm aminal they kill.

I do have an issue with me doing it or someone trying to convince me that, that is what hunting is all about. I do have an issue with someone trying to convince me that TX naturally has these awesome deer genes. I have in my hand a complete catalog of deer you can purchase and even stud fees to put on your property and manage it from TX. This practice is not uncommon in TX.

I even don't have issues with those TX ranches doing that. Just please don't try to convince me that that is what hunting is all about.
How are they "farm animals" on Morris's ranch? He doesn't import genetics from elsewhere, at least he's on record on the show saying he doesn't. It's a low fence ranch, the animals are as wild on his ranch as they are wherever you hunt, and he's very conscientious about his management practices. South Texas was well known for good genetics long before there were all of those stupid breeder farm programs. Unless you can provide some proof that he's bringing in genetics from Saskatchewan or Iowa or wherever, I still don't see the problem.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:31 AM
bigcountry

How are they "farm animals" on Morris's ranch? He doesn't import genetics from elsewhere, at least he's on record on the show saying he doesn't. It's a low fence ranch, the animals are as wild on his ranch as they are wherever you hunt, and he's very conscientious about his management practices. South Texas was well known for good genetics long before there were all of those stupid breeder farm programs. Unless you can provide some proof that he's bringing in genetics from Saskatchewan or Iowa or wherever, I still don't see the problem.
Let me get this right, your trying to convince me that south tx with its arid dry land, just has produced great genetics on its own???? I mean, whats the guy going to say???? Hey everyone, I just imported all these monster deer and feed em tecomonte, please buy my seed!!!!!!!

Okie dokie, maybe you might be interested in investing your retirement with a guy named Madoff.

I saw an infomercial the other night where you can make your 20 year old car new with thier additive. Buy now and buy often.

Whatever makes you sleep thru the night, keep telling yourself that.

I tell you what book a moose hunt in upper Newfoundland and come back and try to sell that story.

Last edited by bigcountry; 08-18-2010 at 09:38 AM.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Let me get this right, your trying to convince me that south tx with its arid dry land, just has produced great genetics on its own???? I mean, whats the guy going to say???? Hey everyone, I just imported all these monster deer and feed em tecomonte, please buy my seed!!!!!!!

Okie dokie, maybe you might be interested in investing your retirement with a guy named Madoff.

I saw an infomercial the other night where you can make your 20 year old car new with thier additive. Buy now and buy often.

Whatever makes you sleep thru the night, keep telling yourself that.

I tell you what book a moose hunt in upper Newfoundland and come back and try to sell that story.
Whatever you gotta tell yourself... You might want to do a little research on the subject, though... Maybe start at Boone and Crockett.

http://www.boone-crockett.org/bgreco...area=bgrecords

1830-1979

The 1,489 entries mapped from this early period comprise 27 percent of 5,439 total entries. Thirty-nine states and 663 counties appear, the top three states — Minnesota (315), Wisconsin (194), and Texas (157) — accounting for 45 percent of all entries during the period.
I'm just looking at the historical stuff, pre-79, so as to eliminate the impact of "breeder programs" (are those even eligible for B&C recognition?). There's a map there where you can see the concentrations of "record" class deer. South Texas has long been very well known for big deer, and it's not just since the inception of AI programs, and importation, etc.

Note that Texas authorized and began licensing "deer breeders" in 1985. Prior to that time, it was illegal to import deer from elsewhere.

Last edited by ipscshooter; 08-18-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:23 AM
bigcountry

Whatever you gotta tell yourself... You might want to do a little research on the subject, though... Maybe start at Boone and Crockett.

http://www.boone-crockett.org/bgreco...area=bgrecords

I'm just looking at the historical stuff, pre-79, so as to eliminate the impact of "breeder programs" (are those even eligible for B&C recognition?). There's a map there where you can see the concentrations of "record" class deer. South Texas has long been very well known for big deer, and it's not just since the inception of AI programs, and importation, etc.

Note that Texas authorized and began licensing "deer breeders" in 1985. Prior to that time, it was illegal to import deer from elsewhere.
Interesting data for sure, but I ain't buyin that those guys don't breed deer.

Like I said, book a hunt in the Alaska pen. or Upper yukon and come back and tell me how wild those deer are.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:30 AM
Spike

Bigcountry

I think you need to follow the advice in your quoted scripture. Bridle your tongue and go for edification. It does no good to argue about this.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:36 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by HuntingKS
Bigcountry

I think you need to follow the advice in your quoted scripture. Bridle your tongue and go for edification. It does no good to argue about this.
Why? Am I hurting you? Does my belief cause you grief? Or do you just take it as someone's opinion? I appoligize if you are wounded by my beliefs.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Interesting data for sure, but I ain't buyin that those guys don't breed deer.
Obviously, you're welcome to think what you will, but, on their shows, they are adamant about their practices, one of which is "if you lay a hand on a deer, it becomes a pet." I really don't believe that they're involved in breeding programs. And, I would think that those statements on the show, if untrue, would be quickly refuted by folks who knew otherwise. We live in a seriously "gotcha" oriented society these days... If they're lying to sell their product, the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act imposes some pretty stiff penalties...

Like I said, book a hunt in the Alaska pen. or Upper yukon and come back and tell me how wild those deer are.
I'd love to, but, it's really not in my budget at the moment. If you're offering to pay though... I'd love to go on a moose hunt with Jim Shockey...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.