HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I may get flamed for this...
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 08:05 AM
bigcountry

So if I have a pig on my farm that is shy and I chase him around the farm for weeks, it would be simular?

So whats the difference? That they get the deer in trailcams and chase them around?

I honestly have no issues with someone hunting "farm animals". If you really feel proud, and actually are not ashamed to take pictures with this animals and satisfied, go for it. I even don't have issues with a person mounting a horse head prize rooster or whatever farm aminal they kill.

I do have an issue with me doing it or someone trying to convince me that, that is what hunting is all about. I do have an issue with someone trying to convince me that TX naturally has these awesome deer genes. I have in my hand a complete catalog of deer you can purchase and even stud fees to put on your property and manage it from TX. This practice is not uncommon in TX.

I even don't have issues with those TX ranches doing that. Just please don't try to convince me that that is what hunting is all about.

Originally Posted by ipscshooter
It should be noted that those Tecomate guys don't have high fences, and manage their property to attract and hold deer. They study the deer on their property year round, both in the field and using trailcams, and may end up hunting a particular buck for weeks. It's not like they tie them to a tree, hand feed them, and then shoot em when the walk up to eat out of their hand... I don't think it's a serious problem that they have great property, in a great location, with a lot of deer, and that their hunting practices allow the bucks on their property to reach 5, or 6, or 7 years old before they're shot. It may not be how you hunt, but, what exactly is the problem? Does everyone have to have an "if it's brown, it's down" philosophy? What's wrong with allowing the bucks on your property to mature? What's wrong with using food plots? How are food plots different than hunting corn and soybean fields in the Midwest?

Last edited by bigcountry; 08-18-2010 at 08:09 AM.