Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
A wounded deer will head towards _______? >

A wounded deer will head towards _______?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

A wounded deer will head towards _______?

Old 06-23-2010, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was on a committee for a controlled hunt and got called out many times each season to search for wonded deer.We recovered 100% of the gut shot deer that we went after as long as the deer weren't pushed.If someone gut shot a deer and immediately left the area until morning,we found the deer every single time and it was always almost within 100 yards of where they lost sight of it from their stand.Usually it was within 50 to 60 yards from where they last saw it. Two years ago,I helped recover 5 different gut shot deer that were left overnight and three of them were still alive the next morning.None of the gut shot deer I've ever recovered,and there's been dozens of them ever went to water.If they aren't spooked to bad and not pressured,they usually lay down as soon as they can and generally don't get back up unless someone pushed them.The opposite side of the story also holds true.Every year,we get loads of calls from guys who gut shoot deer and immediately decide to go after them.I can't remember a single one that we recovered that was pushed soon after being shot.This is archery season I speaking of.

From my experience,the whole water theory is over rated.Deer run to where they feel safe and in many cases,there's no figuring that out.I've seen mortaly wounded deer go up steep ravines and pass right through or over water.

Patience is the best tool any hunter can use to find marginally hit deer.Most mortaly wounded deer will lay down in a very short distance.If they don't get pushed,you'll usually find them right there.If I shoot a deer before dark and I don't see it go down or hear it crash,I wait til morning.I've tracked way too many deer after dark that others hunters claimed were hit perfect to take any chances.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:22 AM
Fork Horn

Severe blood loss and or internal organ damage can trick the body into thinking it is dehydrated, hence the water theory. I'm sure if a deer knows that no significant water sourse is around it's heading for deep cover. I'm also pretty sure that deer are like people in the fact that each one will react differently.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

every hunt iv gone with my dad they always seem to run towards the river
Old 06-24-2010, 05:36 AM
Typical Buck

[quote=DougE;3638547]None of the gut shot deer I've ever recovered,and there's been dozens of them ever went to water.

From my experience,the whole water theory is over rated.Deer run to where they feel safe and in many cases,there's no figuring that out.I've seen mortaly wounded deer go up steep ravines and pass right through or over water.
quote]

I agree with your method of waiting, but I have to wonder how it is you never found a deer near water. I too have tracked many deer and if there was any significant water anywhere within the vicinity many times it was in that direction or right at the water where we found the deer the next day. Maybe my experiences are the exception but I would definitely not overlook the water if I was searching for a deer.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

From my experinence, a deer that has been hit hard will look for thick cover right away. We have found deer in places a rabbit would go. In time, that deer may begin to get dehydrated due to loss of blood and may attempt to get to water if it is close enough.

Also, deer usually take the path of least resistance but have been know to run uphill if needed. It all depends on the severity of the shot.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

[quote=4evrhtn;3638798]
Originally Posted by DougE
None of the gut shot deer I've ever recovered,and there's been dozens of them ever went to water.

quote]

I agree with your method of waiting, but I have to wonder how it is you never found a deer near water. I too have tracked many deer and if there was any significant water anywhere within the vicinity many times it was in that direction or right at the water where we found the deer the next day. Maybe my experiences are the exception but I would definitely not overlook the water if I was searching for a deer.
I don't know what to say.I've tracked and recovered more deer than I can count offhand and never had one die near water.In most cases,there was water nearby but the deer never made any effort to go to it.I'm not saying it's worthless to check water but it's not even close to as sure of a bet as many claim.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:34 AM
Typical Buck

I have been lucky as far as having to track deer. I shot and lost one with a gun once and it crossed the same creek a couple times. I believe it knew I was following him. It was the first day and the woods was full of hunters so it held tight to that area. I never got him and as I tracked him I could see he was not mortally hit.
Another time I helped my buddy trail one he hit with a gun, and it actually laid down at a small stream. That one was not a kill hit either. I don't know if it lay in the mud to stop the bleeding, or because the bullet was hot. Either way, when it got up and left, the blood trail had stopped. I guess it depends how much other disturbance is in the area as to how they react.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:15 AM
Spike

easy answer....where it feels safe...safehaven
Old 07-03-2010, 07:41 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Water and heavy cover
Old 07-04-2010, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was told water because the deer's body is getting overheated from the loss of blood and is feeling the burning desire to cool down.