Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Big Oaks & Acorns

Old 06-11-2010, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Question Big Oaks & Acorns

While checking out a possible hunting spot in Spencer County,KY. I noticed on my friends property a large amount of Oak Trees and acorn husk all over the place under these large trees. I have read the Deer love this food source above all others when they drop in the fall. Many of you have hunted for years and have far more experience than I do. Is it your stradegy to hunt around the Oak trees and have you had good success doing so? The highest scoring Buck in KY for 2009 was taken not to far from this area I am considering hunting a B&C score of 218. and I wonder if the plentiful amount of Acorns in the area helped that Deer get so large.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt SE Al. and So. Cen. Ark. Here we look for acorn crop, often referred to as "mast". Deer will look for about any variety of acorn. Their favorites around here are the milder acorns which all have a pale colored meat. Such as White Oaks, All Nut (sp?), Chestnut Oak, Post Oak and Live Oaks. They also will hit the Water Oaks, Scarlet oaks and Over Cups pretty hard as well, though the acorn is a good bit more bitter. Where I hunt, usually the Red Oaks are last to drop. Deer seem to prefer them the least. But I have killed a many a deer feeding under Red Oaks late into the season.

Keep a good eye on the crop as fall approaches. It is a fact that not every oak tree will produce every year. So finding which ones set acorns in the spring is vital.
When the season is close, scout for mast using binos if necessary.

If you are not familiar with how to identify the various species of oaks in your area, I am certain you can find free-bee info at the US Ag. extension agent office or maybe from the WGF department of Kentucky.

Last edited by Mojotex; 06-15-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:48 AM
Fork Horn

Where I hunt in Texas, we mostly have white oak, post oak, and red oak. The post and white oak's acorn are larger and have a sweeter taste, and the deer eat them until they look like they'll explode. The red oak's acorns are smaller and very bitter, and the deer eat them as the last resort. Now the hogs don't have a problem with any of them though.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:18 PM
Spike

put it this way... if you find a nice oak flat...you better be hunting it when they start droppin. huge success on acorns. on a side note, try out the Acorn Rage attractant. I used it last season and the results were unbelievable.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deer love acorns...especially white oak.