Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Rifle Hunting From A Tree Stand >

Rifle Hunting From A Tree Stand

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rifle Hunting From A Tree Stand

Old 04-24-2010, 03:07 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
For about 35 years...First with homemade stands then with a Baker...Thank the Lord it never killed me...
Me too! I slid down a tree with an old Baker so fast it made my head spin and can't say too much about the sudden stop at the bottom.

I'm just glad there was no knot on the tree or I would be speaking with a high pitch voice
Old 04-24-2010, 05:22 AM
Fork Horn

I have about 10 tree stands. Better visibility, smell is off the ground, you are usually out of line of sight and safer from other hunters. I prefer ladder style. You need help usually to put them up safely, but they are easiest to get in and out of and I believe the sturdiest.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would venture to say that 90% of hunters in rifle season hunt from some type of elevated stand. Most people prefer to hunt from an elevated stand, because you have a lot larger of an area to see them from. Plus, most deer don't make it a habit of looking up, unless they have been hunted super hard before.

Ladder stands are great, but elevated box blinds are amazing. I hunted out of one last year that had a nice leather chair, gun rest, heater, magazines etc.. It was my buddies stand and it was just awesome staying warm, dry and comfortable. I'm buying one for our property this year. I call it hunting out of the Hilton lol.

Last edited by robbcayman; 04-24-2010 at 05:31 AM.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hmmmm....

Bowhunting - A treestand is an absolute must-have. I would guess 95% of bowhunting is from treestands. The elevated view is awesome for watching deer come into range. Your scent is above the deer's nose and he won't know you're there. Bowhunting is pretty much done in the fall when the leaves are in peak colors and haven't dropped yet, so you can hide real well in any tree.

Rifle hunting - Can go both ways. I prefer a ladder stand or just simply slow stalking, carefully playing the wind, when I hunt with my .308 rifle. If the leaves are off the trees and it is wicked chilly outside, you can get really cold in a treestand (been there, done that). You can also accidently sky-light yourself with no leaves on the trees if you're not careful about what tree and it's location.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been Deer Hunting for 35 years now,when we were younger we would build tree stands by nailing wooden steps up into the tree then building the platforms and rails up in the tree to sit on.Thank God for the newer metal/aluminum Ladder Stands and Climbers and safety harnesses which make it a lot safer than climbing into and old wooden tree stand and gambling that it could possibly break or collapse.You can't beat sitting high up in a tree with a better and longer view thru the woods or over grassy fields and food plots,I also hunt on the ground if I'm "Still Hunting" or I have hunted out of ground blinds which give You great concealment and You get a lot more closer to the Deer,we alo have a elevated box blind like Robbcayman mentioned which makes it nice to hunt out of in bad weather!Always try different methods of Hunting and never limit yourself to one thing,the more diverse you are the better chances you have of shooting a nice Deer!
Old 04-24-2010, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only time I don't hunt out of stand is when I'm still hunting or driving. Opening weekend is always in the stand.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:54 AM
Typical Buck

I thought most everyone hunted out of a tree stand when deer hunting weather it be,bow ml or gun...Atleast everyone I know does.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:15 AM
Fork Horn

I almost always hunt from a tree stand. Doesn't matter if it's with a bow or rifle. The angle of most of your shots while hunting from a tree stand during rifle season are much safer as you tend to shoot more into the ground as opposed to shooting level with the horizon.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jr Buck Hunter...I noticed your in Florida,I've been down there a few times and have seen some really long tall straight tree's down there in some really thick area's....I bet a climbing stand or 15' to 17' ladder stand would work great and you would be off the ground in case a nice big Hog would come thru while you were Deer hunting and You could pop one of those too?

Maybe they just don't have the resources or types of ladder stands we have up here in the Heeartland or up North?
Old 05-02-2010, 05:44 PM
Spike

I always love to hunt out of a stand, unless of course I'm turkey hunting. :P

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.