Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

starting to scout

Old 04-10-2010, 03:42 PM
Spike

Default starting to scout

Do you think it is too early to scout deer, this trail cam pic was taken in august www.huntbunk.com
Old 04-10-2010, 07:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Other than just looking for old scrapes, I would say it is.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:25 PM
Fork Horn

If you're from the midwest this is a great time to go out and do a little scouting. The woods are nice and open and you may see things now that won't be so obvious at other times of the year. Plus it's great excuse to get out and enjoy the spring weather. Who knows you may even get lucky and find a shed or two.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:36 PM
Typical Buck

I started back in February when all the leaves are gone. You can find trails, scrapes, rubs and other sign easy. Every year my son and I set aside time to scout our properties. Around the end of December we put all our cameras out to get an idea of what bucks have made it. When time for sheds to drop we have plastic barrels with holes in them tied to trees and filled with corn, buck come in and push the barrels with there antlers and then fall off. In March while scoutting turkey's we find new stand locations and cut shooting lanes and so forth. When it comes down to it we scout almost all year long. Good Hunting.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:38 AM
Spike

Hunting is a full time job that I absolutely love. I have heard the saying that hunting runs from the end of last season to the beginning of next season. During the season I am just shooting....

All off season I am looking for last years sign and where the signs stay continuos, mark spots on gps that you just cant see when all the brush grows up. Cut trails, open new food plots, set out cameras..... There is just so much to do before next season I already have things planned for next spring!!
Old 04-12-2010, 08:48 AM
Spike

I did some scouting just a few days ago. I like doing it at this time of year. You can still locate rubs, bedding areas and even some old scrapes. It's also easy to identify mast producing trees and other feeding areas. Also, as mentioned, the woods haven't grown thick yet, so you can get around. Also, doing it so early in the year, you aren't upsetting the deer just before the season begins.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:15 AM
Typical Buck

I scout year around.