Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Highway undercrossings

Old 06-19-2003, 05:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Highway undercrossings

Has anyone found these to be funnel areas? Have you observed deer crossing under highways. I hunt an area where a creek runs under the highway under a bridge overpass. It' s hard to get up to the undercrossing and I hunt about 100 yards away fron this place. I see all kinds of deer coming from that area and have always suspected the are comeing across the road from underneth it. The road is elavated by about 25 feet. By the way the other side of the road is park property and off limits and there are tons of deer in there. I can' t get close enough to the underway because of the terrian so I havnt been able to check it at close range. The closest I can get to it is a little closer than I am hunting now but it amazes me the amount of deer that move through this area and just dissappear.
Old 06-20-2003, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Highway undercrossings

In the past, I had access to an area that had an underpass next to it. Deer densities were definitely high in that area.

Since this seems to be a very good funnel that doesn' t offer much in the way of set-ups, maybe you can " close off" the other access routes the deer are using with trees and other obstructions blocking their usual trails--even twine will work for a makeshift " fence." Leave ONLY the trails headed your way open.
Old 06-20-2003, 05:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Has it been your observation that deer actually use these undercrossings?
Old 06-20-2003, 08:12 PM

I know a place just like that, except it enters some tall grass on the edge of a field and has a hedge row of trees that the deer can walk along to get to the middle of the field. This place is infested with deer sign and I have sat there and seen plenty of skin heads and some young bucks, but I know if I put my time in I could get a crack at a good buck, there is plenty of big tracks in the area. I use to hunt there when I was a teenager and re-visited it a few years ago, great place to hunt!!!
Old 06-23-2003, 08:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

mdbo funny you should mention that, there are several places that I know the deer go under the highway, this year I am going to try and find some of the landowners that own the property these are on, the deer usually don' t move through them until acorns start dropping or gun season opens where I am thinking of.
Old 06-23-2003, 09:16 AM
Typical Buck

I don' t have any overpasses in the areas I hunt,
but last summer while driving through Colorado
Springs, we saw a absolute monster mule
buck that was bedded down up under the overpass.
This was right in the middle of the city...one of the
biggest mulies I' ve ever seen[].
Old 06-23-2003, 03:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

I hope to get over there next weekend while at the get-together and I will get a picture of the site. I also plan to stop a Bass Pro World and get a ground blind to use there.
Old 06-30-2003, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve never hunted an underpass, havn' t had the opportunity. But, yesterday I was driving on a back road and went over a small creek overpass and I noticed a wooden tree stand on the left side about 15 yards from the underpass. There were fields on both sides and the only cover was on the creek itself. There must be some deer traffic coming thru there or the guy just likes to sit in trees and watch the cars go by.
Old 07-05-2003, 12:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I saw a place in Utah that they had underpasses for the deer to get under the freeway ,I believe it was close to Park City .