Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Scent??

Old 06-18-2003, 07:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default Deer Scent??

Are mule and whitetail Doe pee (scent) the same ?...Do you mule hunters use Whitetail scent?.never seen mule deer scent? Like to know hoping for a mule tag thei fall

I believe there are the same but had to ask?
Old 06-18-2003, 08:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Deer Scent??

It seems to me that while whitetail hunting is usually a waiting type of hunt over food, trails, scrapes, etc, mule deer hunting is usually a spot and stalk or food source type of hunting. I' ve never mule deer hunted, but the videos, hunting shows and magazine articles appear that way.
Old 06-19-2003, 03:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Deer Scent??

I hunt mulies yearly, while many rules apply the same as whitetails their are differences in the two. I have never had much success calling or luring in mature Mulie bucks, it does work for does, fawns and young bucks but that isn' t what I am after. I do use a grunt on occasion but it is only to stop a moving deer. I usually hunt food/water in transition areas and spot n' stalk mulies. I have found the key to mule deer is scout and try to limit the pressure you put on them. All to often I seen them change a feeding routine because they were pressured, I prefer to scout food sources (such as field, meadows, hay) from a good distance with a spotting scope and record how, when and what enetered the field. Upon this if left unattended and the right conditions I will set up to intercept them in transition vs. on the food source it self. By this I will walk the area(usually mid day) when I am sure the deer aren' t bedding close by and are not around. I have found much more success with mulies when you get back a bit from the food source rather than sit right on top of it, mainly due to the younger and female deer coming out very early in the evening to feed, but the bigger/mature bucks tend to enter closer to dusk. This way I have less chance of getting busted and also found as the deer move around and feed the bucks tend to want to travel parralell to the field under cover and enter adjacent on straighter route or line to the rest...safety in numbers I guess. The only real exception is natural fingers, fall line or fencelines that provide them with concealment to the food source.

Spotting and stalking has accounted for the most mules I have taken, but it really depends on the terrain they are inhabiting. If is is valleys and lots of open areas it by far is the best tatic. However if hunting bush lots near fields, hay, etc the first tatic would be my choice. The area I hunt now is the later so thus I have impemented the above tatic of spending evening with some glass and keeping a journal so that come fall I know where I want to be. Of course apdapting is part of any hunting and you must be willing to do so to ensure max. success. I rarely end up where I start out the season!