Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Velvet Question

Old 02-20-2010, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default Velvet Question

I'm looking to do a early season velvet hunt for 2010 and wanted to know if a buck is in full velvet and his antlers are fully grown, will there antlers have the potential to get any bigger once they shed, or the size of the antler in full velvet is as big as they get. The reason I ask is because the outfitter I'm planing on sending my deposit to, has a trophy fee and they have a No Kill Pay. I hate to drop $4000 on trying to harvest a 150 class deer at a outfitter and come home with nothing, so I decided to try this outfitter in Missouri. I'm paying for a 150-159 class deer, but I want it in velvet. Would the rack on a 150 be bigger or have more mass, if I wait until December after there out of velvet? Or is a 150 a 150 no matter if it's in velvet or not?
Old 02-21-2010, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Boy...thats a tough one to answer?The racks on a velvet Buck is going to be a lot bigger in mass but the amount of points,the spread and tine length will be pretty close to being the same after the velvet is off....the only thing is once the antlers quit growing and the blood supply stops the antlers drop down in size and when the velvet comes off the racks will be a lot smaller in size.If your trying to get a Buck in the early season while in velvet it may be pretty tough to even find one in velvet during the first few weeks of Bow Season here in Missouri?Most of my trail camera pictures of the Bucks around here have lost their velvet by the opening day of Bow season on Sept 15.,maybe its different up in Northern Missouri?
Old 02-21-2010, 08:43 AM
Fork Horn

My Missouri date is August 15 at the outfitter I'm going to. The name is High Adventure Ranch. They said there antlers will be fully grown in velvet. Thanks for the response.