Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shed Hunting

Old 02-18-2010, 02:21 PM
Spike

Default Shed Hunting

Has anyone had luck finding sheds yet?
Old 02-18-2010, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been checking my Trail Camera's for the past 3 months...from Dec,Jan and now into Feb and I finally got a few Buck pictures that I could tell had lost their Antlers.I've also been walking on the many trails they use across the open grassy CRP Fields,where they have been jumping and crossing the fence's,creek beds and through the woods.....so far nothing has turned up.........until today!

Kind of a bitter sweet find to say the least......when I was walking into the area where my trail camera is I put out some fresh corn for the Deer and decided to cut through the woods in the very middle where most of the snow has melted down.I was busy zig zagging around the large tree's that blown over in May of 2009 when I came up on a large skull and rack still connected to the spine,ribs and legs of a Buck I'm too familiar with....Mr. Big Crab Claws is dead.The Buck I have trail camera pictures of for the past 2-3 years was laying dead up against a small 3 to 4 inch tree.He was a nice big 10-Point Buck with 1 small 1/2 inch kicker and another 1/2 inch kicker coming off a brow tine.....I can't express how sad it is to find a Buck like that when You hunted him for 2 years straight without getting a shot at him,take your Daughters and Nephew out on the Youth Hunt and not see him and then hope he makes it through the rest of Rifle and Muzzle Loader Season only to find him dead in the woods!At least I can have a European Mount made out of him and enjoy him on my wall!
Old 02-18-2010, 04:47 PM
Typical Buck

there's been too much snow here in ohio.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:39 AM
Fork Horn

gto hunter...to bad man, i feel for ya
Old 02-19-2010, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

GTO- That really stinks. At least you know what happened to him and know that someone didn't poach him.

There has been way too much snow around here also.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:50 PM
Spike

I went to make a delivery yesterday. Had to turn off the main road for 1 mile. Dropped the stuff off and left in 10 minutes. Halfway back was a 4 point shed from a young deer in the middle of the road. Looked on each side by his tracks in the snow but did'nt find the other. Oh well cool to find in the road anyway.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

Nice find GTO...
Old 02-20-2010, 09:11 PM
Spike

went out last week and found 3 blacktail sheds. two were a set laying 5 feet from eachother. Hoping to get out soon for some more.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Guys....I called the local Game Warden and he sent me some papers/reciept on keeping the head/antlers.I'm seriously thinking about getting another Cape and have my Taxidermist mount him in all his glory!I wish I could post up a picture if I could just figure this darn computer out?

On a side note our Neighbor on the property behind us found a couple of small sheds around a week ago.Heck it was over 50 degree's here in Southeast Mo. on saturday,most of the snow is gone and it will make for some more good shed hunting.I have also found it is actually better to get out in the snow and find as many trails through the woods and across the open CRP fields then search them as the snow disapates.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:47 AM
Typical Buck

as soon as they drop them i'll pick them up ..wait and see ...