Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting logged areas?

Old 06-15-2003, 03:54 PM

Default Hunting logged areas?

My 50 acre propety was logged to 12" 3 years ago. How long does it take for the deer to really love the cover. This year it seems like the the pricker bushes are taking off. My 4 wheeler path is barely visible. Have any of you noted how many years it took for the deer to head for the cover in gun season?? Last year we did not have many deer diving into the cover. Do you guys have any tips on hunting logged properties. The past 3 seasons its been hard as hell to pattern the deer???

Thanks
eddie
Old 06-15-2003, 04:26 PM

Default RE: Hunting logged areas?

Get in there this year!! The property I hunt was logged 2-3 years ago in different areas. It was FULL of deer this past year. Soon as the commotion of openning day firearm began the neighbouring properties emptied into those cuts. Build a couple all day permanent stands that will keep you out of the elements.
Old 06-15-2003, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Swampthing; how high up are are you building your stands?

Dan O.
Old 06-15-2003, 05:53 PM

Have to agree with swampthing, we had one of our tracks cut five years ago broke my heart at first took one of the finest looking patches of woods and made it look like a bomb had went off. I was amazed how many deer I saw the first year even though it looked like a desert after three years it was full of deer there was a lot more browse.Also on real cold days look for them bedded down on the sunny slopes all they need is enough cover to hide them laying down.
Old 06-15-2003, 06:05 PM

Hunting up in paper company land you sure get used to logging operations and there effect on the local deer herds.I have found that the 3-6 year period is the best after logging and it then tapers back off and activity moves to other cuts in this prime time period.Seems that cover and browse all peak during these years afterwards and produce the best combination for the deer.

woods
Old 06-15-2003, 07:59 PM

Dano one is maybe 14' floor height, it sits at the intersection of 4 100' wide slashcuts(there were several deer scene from this stand on a daily basis). Another sits on a slope that watches down and is only about 6' off the ground. both were basicly ice fishing shanties, fastened to the top of 4 trees and pulled over with an atv.

They have a roof and walls, and a lawnchair in them. small denatured alcohol heater and your all set. openning morning deer were within 30 yards of both stands. Tells you how much those cuts are liked,, both of those stands were erected exactly 7 days prior to the season!

Im going up in a couple weeks,, Ill take some pictures of them and the ones the neighbours have,, maybe 1 or 2 others that I have seen just off the roads. and hopefully the 4 walls and a roof I build for myself for this year.
Old 06-16-2003, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

We timbered our property in the summer of ' 99. Mostly hardwoods (oaks). We had basically no mast crop in ' 99-' 01, but last year we had a bumper crop. This spring the browse has at least quadrupled. Some of the new growth is 2-3ft tall already (it rains every freaking day ). It should be awesome this year and heading forward. As far as the last few years, it has definitely gotten better each season. Before we cut it, there was little cover and almost no browse. Wide open hardwoods, and the deer never stayed there...just passed through. Now they make quite a few areas home and it' s only getting better. Many of the timbered properties I' ve hunted over the years, have had similar findings. It will get better each year, but I' d have to say that by about the 3rd season after cutting, it really starts getting good.
Old 06-16-2003, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its now been 7 years since the property I hunt has been logged, and its still going strong. They deer flocked to the area the following year. We were worried at first, but it turned out to be the best thing that' s ever happened.
Old 06-16-2003, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

We have found deer in them the first year it was logged and it just got better . Thats where we do a lot of our hunting in the logged units .
Old 06-17-2003, 10:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Our 300 acers was logged 4 years ago and it seems to get better each year...

Quick Reply: Hunting logged areas?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.